[SOLVED] Which graphics card for HP Elitedesk 705 G1?

shaun4work

Distinguished
May 1, 2012
Okay so my family stole all my property when my father died end of last year now I am starting over.(crys in had a good gaming pc) I was lucky enough to be given by my new landlord a HP Elitedesk 705 G1. All I had to do is replace the power supply 20$ and get a gigbit wifi card 20$. Now I am wanting to get it so its atleast useable for some gaming until I can afford to replace my gaming computer I lost. I saw I can upgrade the cpu to AMD A10 7800 and got the ram to 16g might go to 32 if need be but for the graphics card I wanna get best I can without going over 40$ . What I am finding that I THINK WILL FIT is the Radeon R7 350x and the Nvidia Quadro k1200 not sure this one will work in this computer. I replaced the power supply with the 240w. I see people using the R7 350x in rebuilds of this pc and havent seen them use the Nvidia Quadro k1200 for it but it has slightly better specs I think I was wondering would the Quadro k1200 work at all? and if so which would be better for gaming because I am finding both around same price used. THANK YOU in advanced.. This will prob take me a few months since I just got the power supply and the wifi card and I am on disability I will need to get one piece a month to still be able to eat. So this coming december it will be whatever i find best deal on processor or the graphics card. But I want the 4gb so atleast the R7 350x I really miss playing video games with my disability its basically all I had. TLDR WILL QUADRO K1200 WORK IN HP ELITEDESK 705 G1 IF SO WILL IT BE BETTER THAT R7 350X ...

Solution
The PSU in your prebuilt, even brand new will only be capable of delivering 240W of power to the entire platform. In the long run the GPU might even burn out the PSU. That being said, the Quadro card is a workstation pedigree card meaning it's going to be a horrible gaming card. If you're intending to use the system for gaming, then the latter card is a pointless purchase. If you intend to use the system for gaming, your PSU and the case is limiting you in dropping more capable hardware, i.e, a respectable PSU and a higher tier GPU.

If you were doing CAD/3D rendering work, then I'd definitely suggest the Quadro card, earn money off the build and then pay for your new build. Perhaps the fact that the Quadro isn't a good card and that...

Lutfij

Titan
The PSU in your prebuilt, even brand new will only be capable of delivering 240W of power to the entire platform. In the long run the GPU might even burn out the PSU. That being said, the Quadro card is a workstation pedigree card meaning it's going to be a horrible gaming card. If you're intending to use the system for gaming, then the latter card is a pointless purchase. If you intend to use the system for gaming, your PSU and the case is limiting you in dropping more capable hardware, i.e, a respectable PSU and a higher tier GPU.

If you were doing CAD/3D rendering work, then I'd definitely suggest the Quadro card, earn money off the build and then pay for your new build. Perhaps the fact that the Quadro isn't a good card and that people are trying to repurpose the prebuilt for gaming purposes alone is why you don't see people use the Quadro.

Reactions: shaun4work
Solution

shaun4work

Distinguished
May 1, 2012

If you were doing CAD/3D rendering work, then I'd definitely suggest the Quadro card, earn money off the build and then pay for your new build. Perhaps the fact that the Quadro isn't a good card and that people are trying to repurpose the prebuilt for gaming purposes alone is why you don't see people use the Quadro.
Thank you I don't know how to do CAD/3D rendering work to earn money off the build to pay for a new build. I wish I did. This is just what was gifted to me as I literally am starting with nothing and on disability so limited income. Thank you for your answer this lets me know what I can do which is either get a degree learning to do CAD /3D rendering.. which I wouldn't mind or get the R7 350x for horrible gaming experience lol