Which Graphics Card for my System?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

Ok I'll look at the PB forum, I guess building a PC would be better.

G

Well after opening my current pc's case I'm not as worried about building my own, I guess this one is too terrible to bother upgrading though, I don't want to waste my money on it for nothing.

It is actually pretty easy to put a computer together. Basically if you can follow instructions and use a screwdriver/connect cables/put things in sockets you can do it in a few hours. Your current computer would still be ok for low resolution gaming if you throw an HD5570 in there but if you have the money a new system is certainly the way to go.
For a good, cheap build an Athlon II x4 system is probably the way to go but we would really need a general budget before making any suggestions. Also let us know if you have a monitor already and it's resolution or if you will be wanting a new one.

G

Yeah I guess It has always seemed intimidating. If I did make one my budget would be 400 - 500 GBP, I already have a 19 Inch moniter and mouse, keyboard and speakers. Could I also use a RAM stick which I put in my PC a couple of days ago if I eventually got a new one?

jbakerlent

Distinguished
^ That depends on which socket you use, which may depend on your budget. It's a possibility that you could if your budget is really low i.e. AM2+ socket, but it would be better to get an AM3 socket instead, if possible.

Just because you are building a new system doesn't mean the old one is at all useless. A lot of the parts can be recycled. If you go for an AMD system(probably a good idea) you can use your ram, the hard drive(s), dvd drive/burner and even the case. Basically you want a new motherboard/processor, 2 more gigs of ram, a video card and a new power supply.
I'm not sure if it's the best/cheapest place to order stuff from over there but I took a look at;
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/
To get a rough idea of the prices you'll be able to get. An Athlon II x4 + a good AM2+ motherboard + 2 gigs DDR2 ram + a 500-600w PSU of a good brand + an HD5770 comes in at around £380. That's probably along the lines of what you should be looking for. If you are willing to go up to £500 that leaves you a bit of money if you'd prefer a Phenom II or would rather replace the case or want a new hard drive ect.

G

That's a good point, I could reuse some old bits. I'll bear that in mind.