[SOLVED] Which graphics driver should I use with Radeon R9 280?

Ashik549

Reputable
Nov 20, 2016
I am getting an old Sapphire R9 280 GPU from a friend who has left it unused for more than 2 years. I am planning to run it on Windows 10 and the latest GPU drivers.

However, I have some concerns. Particularly about this specific issue. Some are saying their GPU might have been broken by some specific windows or AMD driver update. So I am not sure what driver to use or what OS to use. If windows 10 causes problems with this GPU, I will use Windows 8.1 instead. My friend also said that his screen went black before when he tried to play games in high graphics settings with this GPU, but no issues when playing in medium settings.

So my question is, those who use R9 series GPUs or know about it, what should be I careful of when setting up and starting using it? And do I need to follow any precautionary step before using this old and long time unused GPU? Also which AMD graphics driver and windows will be the best match for this GPU?
FYI, I will be using a DVI to VGA converter as my old monitor only has VGA port, and GPU's HDMI port does not work now.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get any notification for some reason.

I have not seen the GPU yet and my friend can't remember the exact model. It's a Sapphire GPU (Not the fancy ones like toxic models) and I'll be using a Gigabyte B85 motherboard (Again, don't know the exact model) with Core i5 4440 CPU. These all are my friend's old components. He's upgrading so I'm getting those components now. Other than the GPU all of these were used until recently, so I think BIOS is updated.

I'll be using Windows 10 Pro, and of course after setting it up it will be updated. But before that, I'll be hooking it up with my current HDD which has a Windows 8.1 32 bit. After checking if it runs then I'll set up Windows 10.

PSU is a Gigabyte...

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your PSU and it's age? What motherboard are you working with? You should first make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for you motherboard, then use DDU to uninstall your former GPU drivers before dropping in the R9 280.

Then source the latest drivers from AMD's support site and then install your drivers manually. Which version of Windows 10 are you on?

Reactions: Ashik549

Ashik549

Reputable
Nov 20, 2016
Make and model of your PSU and it's age? What motherboard are you working with? You should first make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for you motherboard, then use DDU to uninstall your former GPU drivers before dropping in the R9 280.

Then source the latest drivers from AMD's support site and then install your drivers manually. Which version of Windows 10 are you on?

I have not seen the GPU yet and my friend can't remember the exact model. It's a Sapphire GPU (Not the fancy ones like toxic models) and I'll be using a Gigabyte B85 motherboard (Again, don't know the exact model) with Core i5 4440 CPU. These all are my friend's old components. He's upgrading so I'm getting those components now. Other than the GPU all of these were used until recently, so I think BIOS is updated.

I'll be using Windows 10 Pro, and of course after setting it up it will be updated. But before that, I'll be hooking it up with my current HDD which has Windows 8.1 32 bit. After checking if it runs then I'll set up Windows 10.

PSU is a Gigabyte one 550 watts, almost 6 years old. This PSU supported the R9 before and was used by my friend with a GTX 1060 too. He has bought a new NeoEco now so I'm getting the PSU as well. I would like to buy a new PSU but I can't afford a new one now.

Last edited:

I'll be using Windows 10 Pro, and of course after setting it up it will be updated. But before that, I'll be hooking it up with my current HDD which has a Windows 8.1 32 bit. After checking if it runs then I'll set up Windows 10.

PSU is a Gigabyte one 550 watt. This PSU supported the R9 before and was used by my friend with a GTX 1060 too. He has bought a new NeoEco now so I'm getting the PSU as well.

I'm currently using a 7970 (which is technically sorta... maybe sorta not.. YOUR gpu lol)... and I just let it update to the recommended driver by the radeon app. Haven't had any issues and honestly... you're looking at 2 year old posts, maybe it was an issue at some point, but I personally would just run with the normal install and not worry about it. You are worrying for something that may not even affect you.

I do.. think that you need an "active" video adapter... could be wrong.. but I'm pretty sure your 280 doesn't work witha simple 3$ ebay item.

as far as preinstall... just blow out the card a little with some compressed air and try it out. You could even go as far as cleaning the pin plate that goes into the motherboard, but I wouldn't bother unless you "see" or get issues.

Black screens could be either, PSU issue, card dying, driver issue, or if he overclocked it then it's a failed overclock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashik549
Solution

Ashik549

Reputable
Nov 20, 2016
I'm currently using a 7970 (which is technically sorta... maybe sorta not.. YOUR gpu lol)... and I just let it update to the recommended driver by the radeon app. Haven't had any issues and honestly... you're looking at 2 year old posts, maybe it was an issue at some point, but I personally would just run with the normal install and not worry about it. You are worrying for something that may not even affect you.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I am kinda worried as I can't afford a new rig now, maybe not for some more years and this system I'm getting is my only hope to be able to play some newer games at low/mid settings 😅. So I want to make sure that I don't mess anything up.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I am kinda worried as I can't afford a new rig now, maybe not for some more years and this system I'm getting is my only hope to be able to play some newer games at low/mid settings 😅. So I want to make sure that I don't mess anything up.

well... if he's your friend, then if the card gives you any trouble, I'm sure you can work something out. Maybe he could help you set it up as well, since he's handled that hardware before if you're not too confident in it (it's okay, sometimes just takes a time or two of observing before you can do it yourself). Those cards are dirt cheap now as well, so if that would be the only thing stopping you then you could definetly go out and get one.