Question which headphones are better for gaming

Lightningfan

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
which headphones between these 4 are better for gaming competitively the audio-technica ath ad-700x sennheiser hd 598 akg k 240 mk 2 or the audio-technica ath-m50x which pair are better for gaming and hearing footsteps

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016
My initial feeling is the AT ATH-M50x. These are the only ones that I have heard of before. I know they're good professional headphones.

Please see if you can add the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro and/or Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro to your list.

Let me do a little research and get back to you.

D

Deleted member 217926

HD 598 or AD700X just due to soundstage and imaging. I've had HD598s for close to 8 years and I still game with them.

Lightningfan

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
My initial feeling is the AT ATH-M50x. These are the only ones that I have heard of before. I know they're good professional headphones.

Please see if you can add the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro and/or Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro to your list.

Let me do a little research and get back to you.
why do you want me to see if i can add the beyerdynamic dt 770 pro or the dt 990 pro to my list

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016
Do you want/need open, semi-open, or closed back headphones?

Audio-Technica ATH-M50X
Professional Monitor Headphones
Closed
Price: 150

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X
Audiophile Open-air Headphones
Price: 90

Sennheiser HD 598
Open
Price: 170

AKG K240 MKII
Professional Studio Headphones
Semi-open
Price: 119

Last edited:

Lightningfan

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
Do you want/need open, semi-open, or closed back headphones?

Audio-Technica ATH-M50X
Professional Monitor Headphones
Closed
Price: 150

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X
Audiophile Open-air Headphones
Price: 90

Sennheiser HD 598
Open
Price: 170

AKG K240 MKII
Professional Studio Headphones
Semi-oepn
Price: 119
idk whichever ones are better for competitive gaming

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016
IDK either...

I'm just going to recommend very good headphones, period.

Out of the ones you mentioned, the Sennheiser HD 598 stand out as the best.

Open back, means, a wide and airy soundstage, which is better for most things, but people around you will hear them.
Also, a big part of your audio experience is dependant on the DAC/AMP you are using.

A totally flat response, is one that doesn't sweeten the audio in any way. It reproduces sound as accurately as possible, and as close to the original engineer's designed sound. That could be a good thing for competitive gaming, although, there are no promises.

For that reason, I mentioned the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro. They are open-back, clinically accurate, studio headphones, designed for audio mastering and such.

I get it, you would like to have an edge, hear the other guy first, and all that. And good headphones might do that for you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 217926

There is nothing neutral about DT990s. They are very V shaped. As are most 'gaming' headsets.

But out of the choices he listed the HD598 and AD700X ( as I said above ) are the best choices, not because of being neutral but due to soundstage and imaging.

Lightningfan

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
IDK either...

I'm just going to recommend very good headphones, period.

Out of the ones you mentioned, the Sennheiser HD 598 stand out as the best.

Open back, means, a wide and airy soundstage, which is better for most things, but people around you will hear them.
Also, a big part of your audio experience is dependant on the DAC/AMP you are using.

A totally flat response, is one that doesn't sweeten the audio in any way. It reproduces sound as accurately as possible, and as close to the original engineer's designed sound. That could be a good thing for competitive gaming, although, there are no promises.

For that reason, I mentioned the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro. They are open-back, clinically accurate, studio headphones, designed for audio mastering and such.

I get it, you would like to have an edge, hear the other guy first, and all that. And good headphones might do that for you.
I don't have a DAC/AMP

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016
Don't most headphones have some V shape to their frequency response curve?
I'm not trying to be argumentative, simply trying to learn more, so I can make a better purchase next time...

598:
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-598

990:
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/beyerdynamic-dt-990-pro-250.php

Look at 300 Hz, and 2000 Hz.

Now, this leads me to believe that...
"I won't reveal exactly what I think of the difference, until I hear from you...but it should be kinda obvious..."

-David.

D

Deleted member 217926

Rtings is mostly useless. The only good thing about that site is the frequency response graphs and you have to be able to read one. And by being able to read one you need experience with multiple headphones to compare the sound you hear to the sound on the graph. The 598 is close to neutral. Equal weight is given to the bass, mids and treble. The HD600 is the neutral reference ( and one of my all time favorites ). If Sennheiser has a 'house' sound it's slightly forward mids that allow vocals to absolutely shine. Some people if anything find the 598s boring. But the soundstage and imaging make them excellent for gaming.

One of the only completely unbiased reviewers. I trust his ear and his recommendations completely. HD 599 review but it's just a slightly tweaked 598 driver with better bass extension so it's applicable.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HORNc3QQ9mc

The DT990 in comparison is more V shaped with more energy in the treble and bass and recessed mids. This makes for a more 'exciting' sound and the 990s are really good for gaming. Most 'gaming' headsets have that V shaped signature. Boosted treble for footsteps and boosted bass for exciting explosions. Some people find the 990s to be literally painful because of how bright the highs are though.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKoKS2oR5jE

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016
From what I see in the graphs, the 598s are the ones exaggerating bass and treble...more so than the 990s...

I can't say for sure about the 990s either, what I have, what I could afford at the time, are the 770s, which sound great to me...

I've heard a LOT about the 600s and 650s...hoping to try them out soon.

D

Deleted member 217926

Graph comparisons.... Who measured it and with what equipment. This makes a HUGE difference. 598s aren't exaggerated anywhere. They're quite tame. I use mine as daily drivers ( wearing them now ) and for gaming. They have better soundstage than either the 600 or 650 and imaging is very precise. They're also so comfortable you forget you're wearing anything. 598s are also really good for almost all music.

D

Deleted member 217926

I can't say for sure about the 990s either, what I have, what I could afford at the time, are the 770s, which sound great to me...

I've heard a LOT about the 600s and 650s...hoping to try them out soon.

The 80ohm DT770s are generally loved. They're my ~$150 recommendation when someone needs a closed back rock and roll/EDM headphone.

I love my HD600s. Neutral and they work with almost any genre. The HD650s ( also now sold as the Massdrop HD6XX ) are one of the best in the world at what they do. Slower rock, jazz and music where the vocals are the high point. Laid back music in general. But they don't tend to do real well with metal and faster rock and the darkish tone doesn't make them really well suited for classical. The 600 and 650 in particular scale REALLY well with more power/better equipment. I couldn't decide between the 2 so I kept both. I generally overall prefer the 600 a bit more though.

The Ebony TH-X00 is my favorite. Tied for second would be the Elear and the HD600.

Lightningfan

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
Graph comparisons.... Who measured it and with what equipment. This makes a HUGE difference. 598s aren't exaggerated anywhere. They're quite tame. I use mine as daily drivers ( wearing them now ) and for gaming. They have better soundstage than either the 600 or 650 and imaging is very precise. They're also so comfortable you forget you're wearing anything. 598s are also really good for almost all music.
So you would recommend the Sennheiser hd 598 headphones for what I'm using them for

D

Deleted member 217926

Out of the 4 choices you listed in the OP yes. The 598s would be my recommendation for gaming. Did you watch the review of the 599s I posted above? The 598 and 599 are almost identical.

D

Deleted member 217926

Sennheiser headphones are completely modular and snap apart. You don't even need any tools. So when the earpads wear out in a few years you buy new ones, snap them in and have new feeling headphones again. Same with any part should it break, down to and including the drivers.

Lightningfan

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
Sennheiser headphones are completely modular and snap apart. You don't even need any tools. So when the earpads wear out in a few years you buy new ones, snap them in and have new feeling headphones again. Same with any part should it break, down to and including the drivers.
Will I need a amp/dac with the Sennheiser hd 598

D

Deleted member 217926

Nope they're easy to drive. But at some point if you want to get better equipment the 598s will reward it.

Lightningfan

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
Out of the 4 choices you listed in the OP yes. The 598s would be my recommendation for gaming. Did you watch the review of the 599s I posted above? The 598 and 599 are almost identical.
Sorry but I looked on Amazon and I found the 598s in the ivory color but I also found the 598sr what's the difference other than the price and could you link me the ones you have like is there a difference in the soundstage

D

Deleted member 217926

The 598SR is just a revised version with a slightly more comfortable headband, a different color and it comes with 2 cables I believe instead one just one like mine did. The old burl ivory version that I have is discontinued. There is no change to the drivers or the sound. The SR is what you want. :)