Question which headphones are better for gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lightningfan

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
which headphones between these 4 are better for gaming competitively the audio-technica ath ad-700x sennheiser hd 598 akg k 240 mk 2 or the audio-technica ath-m50x which pair are better for gaming and hearing footsteps

Lightningfan

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
The 598SR is just a revised version with a slightly more comfortable headband, a different color and it comes with 2 cables I believe instead one just one like mine did. The old burl ivory version that I have is discontinued. There is no change to the drivers or the sound. The SR is what you want. :)
Ok

Lightningfan

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
The 598SR is just a revised version with a slightly more comfortable headband, a different color and it comes with 2 cables I believe instead one just one like mine did. The old burl ivory version that I have is discontinued. There is no change to the drivers or the sound. The SR is what you want. :)
The 598sr is also discontinued by the manufacturer it says it on Amazon so what else would you recommend

Lightningfan

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
The HD598 was replaced with the HD599. Same driver and sound signature but better bass.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-H...=B01L1IICR2&psc=1&refRID=1X0MD25AVY68986ZWSWV

To add another choice the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD58X is another great option.

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones
how good is the massdrop x sennheiser hd58x also i have one other question if i get a new power supply and install it now would it give me more performance until i get my new gpu and cpu

D

Deleted member 217926

A system uses the power it draws. A better or more powerful power supply will have no impact on performance at all. An insufficient or low quality power supply will cause instability and crashes.

I haven't heard the 58X but the reviews are overwhelmingly positive. The 599 or 58X either would be a great way to get into entry level hi-fi without needing a headphone amp.

Lightningfan

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
A system uses the power it draws. A better or more powerful power supply will have no impact on performance at all. An insufficient or low quality power supply will cause instability and crashes.

I haven't heard the 58X but the reviews are overwhelmingly positive. The 599 or 58X either would be a great way to get into entry level hi-fi without needing a headphone amp.
but would i need a headphone amp for the ad700x

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
A few years ago I got to compare a couple headphones and I find the overall best to be the Shure brand. I personally got the SRH 940.

The headbands tend to be quite fragile, sadly...

Those retro-styled square headphones (I forgot the brand name but you'd recognize them) were pretty good too.

In general whatever is well regarded for music is also good for gaming as the overall quality helps with what's needed for gaming too, such as stereo separation and ability to quickly pick silent sounds such as footsteps.

Just my 2 cents.

Lightningfan

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
A few years ago I got to compare a couple headphones and I find the overall best to be the Shure brand. I personally got the SRH 940.

The headbands tend to be quite fragile, sadly...

Those retro-styled square headphones (I forgot the brand name but you'd recognize them) were pretty good too.

In general whatever is well regarded for music is also good for gaming as the overall quality helps with what's needed for gaming too, such as stereo separation and ability to quickly pick silent sounds such as footsteps.

Just my 2 cents.
i mean i can pick up footsteps and other silent sounds pretty easily its just during gunfights and stuff

D

Deleted member 217926

but would i need a headphone amp for the ad700x

Nope. But the headband on the ATH headphones isn't for everybody. Try them before you buy.

A few years ago I got to compare a couple headphones and I find the overall best to be the Shure brand.

Those may have been your favorite out of what you tested but there's a reason Sennheiser is so popular. From an audiophile perspective the Shure 1540s are quite nice but they fall apart at higher volume levels. Best brand? Probably not on anyone else's list as that.

Lightningfan

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
Nope. But the headband on the ATH headphones isn't for everybody. Try them before you buy.

Those may have been your favorite out of what you tested but there's a reason Sennheiser is so popular. From an audiophile perspective the Shure 1540s are quite nice but they fall apart at higher volume levels. Best brand? Probably not on anyone else's list as that.
where would i be able to try them

D

Deleted member 217926

At the sub $150 price Amazon has them for the HD599 would be my choice for an all around headphone. They're light and comfortable enough you'll forget you have them on. The soundstage and imaging is great and they're really good for music. Watch the Metal571 review I posted on the last page. He's one of the best hi-fi reviewers online and I trust his ear enough I bought $500 TH-X00 Ebonies partly based on his review of them. They're my favorite pair even though I have more expensive Focals.

For music I might pick the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD58X. I haven't heard them but I own the HD600 and HD650 ( same build ). Comfort is very good but clamp force is higher and they have a more intimate soundstage which isn't as good for gaming.

I use my HD598s for gaming and as daily drivers. They're my cheapest and oldest pair but they're great as all arounders. The 599 is just a revised 598 with better bass. Same drivers.

You may love the Audio Technicas and many people do but I don't care for the crazy split headband. I'd consider the HD599s a step up in sound quality though.

Lightningfan

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
At the sub $150 price Amazon has them for the HD599 would be my choice for an all around headphone. They're light and comfortable enough you'll forget you have them on. The soundstage and imaging is great and they're really good for music. Watch the Metal571 review I posted on the last page. He's one of the best hi-fi reviewers online and I trust his ear enough I bought $500 TH-X00 Ebonies partly based on his review of them. They're my favorite pair even though I have more expensive Focals.

For music I might pick the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD58X. I haven't heard them but I own the HD600 and HD650 ( same build ). Comfort is very good but clamp force is higher and they have a more intimate soundstage which isn't as good for gaming.

I use my HD598s for gaming and as daily drivers. They're my cheapest and oldest pair but they're great as all arounders. The 599 is just a revised 598 with better bass. Same drivers.

You may love the Audio Technicas and many people do but I don't care for the crazy split headband. I'd consider the HD599s a step up in sound quality though.
would i want the better bass i dont listen to music that much on my pc

Lightningfan

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
I'm not a headphone reviewer and I haven't heard the HD599s but I linked and have twice recommended you watch the review from Metal571 who IS a headphone reviewer and a very very good one. He explains the differences. Here it is again in case you didn't understand that.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HORNc3QQ9mc
i think i will get the sennheiser hd599 then i mean the price isnt that bad so