Question Which high-end Z590 MB based on specific criteria (see below)?

realmadmartian

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
It's been a while since my last upgrade, and I am a bit fuzzy on the latest z590 chipset and features. My current MB is a Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 - a top board in its time. But too old for Windows 11.

Based on the below preferences, which motherboards do you recommend?

1. I need at least 6 SATA ports.
  2. I need at least 2 M2 ports (that work at the same time as at least 6 SATA ports).
  3. I do NOT do overclocking - of the system or vid card - so overclocking features are wasted on me, but I do like other high-end features and connectivity.
  4. I intend to get an RTX 3080 vid card when availability returns to normal (currently have a Quadro P4000).
  5. I don't want to miss any current technology (such as Thunderbolt 4, which is missing from some of the Z590 MBs).
  6. Must fit my Thermaltake Level 10 case. Yes, I know it's old, but I freaking love it. And I'm not spending a grand for a Level 20 case.
  7. Must be ATX due to case restriction (not E-ATX).
  8. I will NOT use water cooling.
  9. I will be putting either 64GB or 128GB of RAM on the MB (depends on pricing and availability).
  10. I am less concerned about price than features, even though I don't overclock.
  11. I am considering these CPUs: I7-11700B or I9-11900KB.
  12. Must have a good sound chip supporting digital speakers. I don't like having to use an add-on card for sound.
  13. I have gigabit wired ethernet, so built-in wifi support is not needed.

Thanks in advance.

realmadmartian

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
This is the only board newegg has that meets your criteria: https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-maximus-xiii-apex/p/N82E16813119416?quicklink=true
BUT the pciex16_1 slot runs at x8 mode if the 2nd m2 slot is occupied.

Thanks for the suggestion. That is some crazy money, though. There must be something cheaper that meets my needs. 2 M2 and 6 SATA are pretty common on the Z590 MBs. Though perhaps I'll have to give up Thunderbolt 4 as a lot of the boards don't have that. I am likely to get the I7-11700B CPU, though the B version doesn't appear to be available yet.