Question Which intel chip is right for me?

Vodoochild81

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
This is what I have now:

i7 5820k
Asus Strix 2080ti
64gb Crucial DDR 4 2400 DIMM
Asus Rampage V Extreme ATX2011E
Crucial SSD 960 gb M500
Corsair AX1200I Digital ATX PSU
CORSAIR HYDRO H105I LIQUID COOLER

I've been waiting for the supposed 7nm intel chips to drop for a while now before I upgraded my CPU and Mobo. It doesn't look like that's happening any time soon now. I think I am due for a CPU upgrade and was wondering if I should just do an i9 9900KS or go for one of the new 12 or 18 core 10 X series CPUS. I use my comp mostly for Adobe Premiere and After Effects so a multi core chip would probably be best right? I just feel like going beyond a great gaming system for media creation is over rated. Any Mac Pro or Imac pro I have ever worked on was just as fast, if not slower than even my system. Do these apps really even use beyond 8 cores? Wouldn't 8 faster cores kinda even out with 18 slower ones? I just feel like hardware moves MUCH faster than software optimization does.

Hi, I think you haven't read or watch much of the recent reviews for AMD cpus right ?

Check a look at this please, or read the article is down in the description:

Or you can check this:

View: https://youtu.be/M3sNUFjV7p4?t=498

Or any of the reviews out there, but the short answer is yes Premiere like the cores and the threads, a lot.

And theres also this new beasts now:

View: https://youtu.be/a8apEJ5Zt2s?t=321

Cheers

Vodoochild81

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Guys look at these bench marks.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/What-is-the-Best-CPU-for-Video-Editing-2019-1633/

It seems the 9900K is the better buy. It's virtually tied across all of the chips in After Effects and it's not that much better in Premiere pro than the 3950X or the 18 core intel CPUs....Yes it seems those new monster 24 core and 32 Core Ryzen chips seem to blow EVERYTHING away, but they are like 2 thousand dollars...If it really will give me that level of performance it may be a worthy investment.

Those are not Ryzen, they are Threadripper and they belong to a diferent price segment (HEDT computing), the same as those Intel's X CPUs.

Sorry I don't get how the Core i9 9900K is the best buy?, If your time is money, and the less time you spend in a project, the faster you can start with the next project, then I don't get how the 9900K is the best. Anyways....

What I treid to point out is that for Premier and productivity in general the new mainstream King is the Ryzen 9 3950X.

You could go for the cheapest option Ryzen 9 3900X (of the two R9) and still get a very powerfull work horse.

Heck if you like Intel the 9900K is a good choice too (I would avoid the KS if you need a working CPU, it only comes with 1 year warranty).

Any of those 3 should give you better results than your Core i7 5820K.

But as already mention, intel cpu are in a dead end, if you get a Ryzen 9 + X570 mobo (be carefull what you choose, there are lots of crap out there), then you will be able to uipgrade to a new revision when Ryzen 4xxx comes out.

For choosing the best motherboard I find this video to be the best out there:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGY2mqTn2rc

Vodoochild81

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Those are not Ryzen, they are Threadripper and they belong to a diferent price segment (HEDT computing), the same as those Intel's X CPUs.

Sorry I don't get how the Core i9 9900K is the best buy?, If your time is money, and the less time you spend in a project, the faster you can start with the next project, then I don't get how the 9900K is the best. Anyways....

What I treid to point out is that for Premier and productivity in general the new mainstream King is the Ryzen 9 3950X.

You could go for the cheapest option Ryzen 9 3900X (of the two R9) and still get a very powerfull work horse.

Heck if you like Intel the 9900K is a good choice too (I would avoid the KS if you need a working CPU, it only comes with 1 year warranty).

Any of those 3 should give you better results than your Core i7 5820K.

But as already mention, intel cpu are in a dead end, if you get a Ryzen 9 + X570 mobo (be carefull what you choose, there are lots of crap out there), then you will be able to uipgrade to a new revision when Ryzen 4xxx comes out.

For choosing the best motherboard I find this video to be the best out there:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGY2mqTn2rc

Yea sure you could also say the 3950X would be also a good buy but I they aren't testing the 9900KS. I figure the newer version would edge that chip out and also you have the "intel" factor since Adobe seems to favor them.

Why I thought a mid range chip may be the better buy is because in terms of After Effects they are all the same. For Premiere the only real difference are the new 32 and 24 core chips coming..BUT..I am starting to think if I spent 1200 on my video card getting the 24 core chip would be a worthy investment if that will dramatically improve playback.

Overall when I said BUY, I didn't mean better. It does seem getting the X series intel chips are a huge waste right now. I guess the decision is getting a good chip that may be good enough for now at 500 dollars or go for from and get the 1,400 one.

Being that those are my two choices, how much of an improvement over my 5820K will I see?

Lol is funny to see all those links of a System Integrator (PC builder) who only seems to use sell Intel CPUs and nvidia GPUs for any of the system they sell.

So yeah.

But thats fine (already said that in my previous post), the Core i9 9900K is not a bad CPU for working, still relevant, and has "sorta" good price point (until you realize that Ryzen 7 3700X/3800X + DDR4 3600 with low timings get really close to it and cost less). If time is not that important to you, by all means, go ahead and buy it.

I linked two, of the mamny reviews Ive read and saw, from Gamer Nexus, Hardware Unboxed, Linus Tech Tips (Intels fan boy number one), Toms Hardware (No, I don't need write it, right? :) ), Derbauer, Guru3D, Teach Deals, Pauls Hardware, Tech Yes City, and so on. And they all came to the same conclusion: if time is money, do your homework, look at the independent reviewers, and youre probably going to end buying AMD.

Once again, if you are 100% sure system X is good enough for you (or if its what you like, which is Ok too!), and its between your budget, then theres no much more to arguee.

Yea sure you could also say the 3950X would be also a good buy but I they aren't testing the 9900KS. I figure the newer version would edge that chip out and also you have the "intel" factor since Adobe seems to favor them.

Being that those are my two choices, how much of an improvement over my 5820K will I see?

Well one of ther reviews I linked include the 9900KS limited edition, and there are others too, but as I said, If I were to buy a working CPU, I would want something with more than 1 year of warranty.

Sadly, how much of an improvement you will see is not something I can tell for sure. I only used premiere for stupid personal projects a few times. Im not a profesional user.

But if Im to guess, going from a CPU with 6 cores 12 threads, 22 nm node from 2014 @3.4GHz all core frecuency, to a CPU with 8 cores and 16 theads of late 2018 @4.7GHz all core frecuency, with a smaller node 14nm++++ of late 2018, then Im guessing the improvement should be important. How much less time will it take to do X task?, I have no idea.

This is what I have now:

i7 5820k
Asus Strix 2080ti
64gb Crucial DDR 4 2400 DIMM
Asus Rampage V Extreme ATX2011E
Crucial SSD 960 gb M500
Corsair AX1200I Digital ATX PSU
CORSAIR HYDRO H105I LIQUID COOLER

I've been waiting for the supposed 7nm intel chips to drop for a while now before I upgraded my CPU and Mobo. It doesn't look like that's happening any time soon now. I think I am due for a CPU upgrade and was wondering if I should just do an i9 9900KS or go for one of the new 12 or 18 core 10 X series CPUS. I use my comp mostly for Adobe Premiere and After Effects so a multi core chip would probably be best right? I just feel like going beyond a great gaming system for media creation is over rated. Any Mac Pro or Imac pro I have ever worked on was just as fast, if not slower than even my system. Do these apps really even use beyond 8 cores? Wouldn't 8 faster cores kinda even out with 18 slower ones? I just feel like hardware moves MUCH faster than software optimization does.
Some games and Photoshop are the only software benchmarks that intel wins at.

For the vast majority of benchmarks thread ripper is faster and cheaper.

the i9-9900KS is not going to give you any noticeable improvement over the i9-9900K. They are literally the same chip except the i9-9900KS has a factor overclock. If you go with the newest AMD chips, you have the option for very fast PCIE gen 4 storage if you need it (And more space for expansion cards if you need them).

It also depends on how much you time is worth to you and/or to your company. You can save a ton of time by getting a very expensive, very fast Threadripper system, but if you don't care about saving that much time, then getting something less powerful is good enough (i.e. i9-9900K or r9-3950X/3900X). Depends on if you care more about return on investment or initial cost.

Reactions: RodroX