Which is better Athlon 64 X2 3 2ghz or Phenom II X4 3 4ghz?

Kithzaru

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
The Phenom II x4 will have a l3 cache, the Athlon 64 x2 does not. As you wrote it, the Athlon is at 3.2, the Phenom is at 3.4 so the Phenom is faster. Also, as you wrote it, the Athlon is an x2, the Phenom is an x4, meaning 2 and 4 cores, so the x4 is ideally better.

In every way, the Phenom II x4 is better. Except in cost =P

Your question, while not...vague... isn't very helpful in your overall goal here.

If all you want to know which is better, then by all means the Phenom II x4, but if you are planning on upgrading or something like that, there are many other things worth looking over.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Let's assume this is a legit question, because a newbie probably won't be aware of the names of CPUs, and given the Athlon has 64 in the name and a lot of talk about 64-bit Windows is hitting the mainstream then it's easy to think it's the better processor.

So, OP let's clear this one up for you...

Athlon 64 is seriously old technology now and even though its clock speed is on a par with the Phenom II it is rubbish in comparison.

In fact there IS no comparison - the Phenom II X4 will beat the Athlon 64 hands down in every conceivable fashion.

Kithzaru

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Yeah, I don't think I knew anyone who had a 6400. The only people who may have been interested in them had already bought their 6000+'s and OC'd em.

I always thought it was interesting they did that on the Windsor core though, I thought the Brisbane was supposed to be better.