[SOLVED] Which is better, plastic or metal for USB flash drives?

Solution
The only USB sticks that have ever failed on me were ones I either ran over with my car of stepped on. I suppose a metal body could help with that...but then the connector shell will just crush if it's not well protected somehow.

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
Personal preference IMO. I have quality plastic USB drives that have been through the wash, dropped into mud, bent, left in hot vehicle, and still work perfectly.

I have had fancy "durable" drives fail as well.
Thanks for the reply!

I mean, does metal help with heat dissipation or nah? I've heard that metal flash drives are hotter because well, they are metal lol but is heat dissipation better with metal flash drives or are all practically the same?

USAFRet

Titan
I've had some of both over the years.
But, as noted above, never used one in a situation where the temperature was an issue.

Buy something from a known good manufacturer. Samsung, SanDisk, etc.
The material of the case is mostly irrelevant.

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
I have never used a flash drive in a role where heat played a significant factor. This included holding the operating system for FreeNAS and Linux systems.
Gotcha gotcha. It's not like that the only concern for me is the heat but i have never bought a metal flash drive and i wanted to ask if there is a difference with heat that's why but all in all, thanks for your help, i will take into consideration what you said, i will wait for other people's answers (i have asked in other forums as well, not only this one lol) and i will make my decision when i got enough info. Thanks again and happy new year!

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
I've had some of both over the years.
But, as noted above, never used one in a situation where the temperature was an issue.

Buy something from a known good manufacturer. Samsung, SanDisk, etc.
The material of the case is mostly irrelevant.
Thanks for your reply!

I understand. And as i said above just now, my main concern is not for the heat, it's just i haven't bought any metal flash drives before and i wanted to change it up but if heat wasn't any issue for both of you, then maybe i'll go for the metal one.

Yeah ofc i will buy from a reputable manufacturer, i ain't going on some cheapo flash drives lol

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for your reply!

I understand. And as i said above just now, my main concern is not for the heat, it's just i haven't bought any metal flash drives before and i wanted to change it up but if heat wasn't any issue for both of you, then maybe i'll go for the metal one.

Yeah ofc i will buy from a reputable manufacturer, i ain't going on some cheapo flash drives lol
What we're say is that metal or plastic does not matter.
Don't base your decision on the case material.

The one having rubber surface are better to get a firm grip on and are less prone to crack when it hit the floor. But also more dust tend to stick to it.

Personally, the surface isn't that much of importance, I'm much more interresting in it's ability to keep the data without corruption for long periods of time and also having good write performance and able to withstand a high number of overwrite cycles.