Which is better vid encoding Stock AMD FX-9590 vs. i7-5960X OCed to 4.2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LeftyInSpades13

Distinguished
May 29, 2012
Hello everyone, I'll try to make this short.

Every 3 years I buy a new main rig.
This year it's between a stock AMD FX-9590 running 4.7 and 5.0 turbo and a company OCed to 4.2 i7-5960X .

Now, price is not a concern. Both will be running on about the best I can find or get for them, within reason anyway.
AMD build:
AMD mobo will be an ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AMD 990 ATX
AMD RAM 32 GB DDR3/2133MHz Corsair Vengeance
1TB Samsung 850 PRO Series
AMD Radeon R9 295X2

Intel build
i7 mobo will be ASUS ROG X99 Rampage V Extreme ATX
i7 RAM 32 GB DDR4/2800MHz Corsair Vengeance
1TB Samsung 850 PRO Series
AMD Radeon R9 295X2

The cooling will be;
XSPC RayStorm CPU Block,Dual D5 Pump & Reservoir,AX360 Radiator with 6 fans in Push/Pull

I left out all the internal storage and other stuff except the main drive that everything will be done on, apps & warez wise. With that said, I haven't played games since the early 90s so I don't care in the slightest how great this or that is for gaming, but I am a big media enthusiast.

It seems most of the bench-marking and performance tests I keep finding for these things are game oriented or professional oriented in fields in which I have no interest or basically software isolated testing, that I don't personally understand their application to what I do.

What I would like to know, is the real life application for what I do between these two builds. Simply, between these two which will be able to better and faster handle encoding on Handbrake, couple or few browsers open with a couple hundred tabs, Administrating a website, having a media player running and something like an XMPP chat running, all at the same time?

If possible, I would like reasonable support for your recommendations or conclusions, so that maybe I can further educate myself, not the typical fanboy reply about [insert manufacturer] is bestestest.

Thnx for any help.

Solution
D
I unselected the best answer for you.

As you should see in the Anandtech benchmarks I linked to above the AMD chip does not even come close to the 5960X. In all honesty the 5930k while only having 6 cores, has a higher clock speed and might be a better choice unless you are doing truly massively multithreaded tasks.

FX 9590 vs i7 5930k

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1289?vs=1316

5960X vs 5930k. As you can see the cheaper 6 core chip is actually faster than the 8 core flagship in applications that make use of speed more than thread count.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1317?vs=1316

If you don't game and just need a card to display UHD resolution there is no reason to buy a card designed to play games on those...

mdocod

Distinguished

I'm not aware of any effort to flash/mod the existing hardware decoders to support new formats. The most likely approach would be leveraging the SIMD shader/instruction pipeline to assist in encoding/decoding. As you are already likely aware, this has been done with CUDA/openCL in some applications, the results are acceptable in some cases but most professional editing/trans-coding will still need to be done on a traditional CPU to get the best results. Point being, a big huge GPU sometimes offers a video editor very little in terms of usable assets. If you are aiming for quality outcomes, spend your money on a big 8 core haswell E and think of your GPUs as nothing more than display ports.