[SOLVED] Which is the best configuration and why ?

Sugbk

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
other specs

cpu_ryzen 3700x
gpu_msi RTX 2070 superX trio
case_H700
cooler_Kraken X53

81fuik.png

also suggest if the wraith spire is enough or comparable to kraken in terms of temps

Solution
There is no best configuration. Each one has a tradeoff.
-Front mounted rads tend to be the best for cpu temps, but the worst for gpu temps. They'll also require you to run your fans higher due to typically higher air resistance in most cases.
-For top mounted rads, it's usually the opposite between cpu and gpu temps. Running the rad fans high isn't necessary here as air resistance is usually lower for exhaust.
-There may be a 1C difference in either direction with flipping the radiator fans to the other side.
Pick your poison.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
First things first: All of these configs are reasonable and will work well. I personally would take option 1, because the unobstructed front fans will most likely provide a slight positive case pressure. Furthermore the top fans in s pull-configuration might be a bit less noisy then in push.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-Front mounted rads tend to be the best for cpu temps, but the worst for gpu temps. They'll also require you to run your fans higher due to typically higher air resistance in most cases.
-For top mounted rads, it's usually the opposite between cpu and gpu temps. Running the rad fans high isn't necessary here as air resistance is usually lower for exhaust.
-There may be a 1C difference in either direction with flipping the radiator fans to the other side.
Pick your poison.

Solution
Mar 23, 2020
Pick your poison.
I agree with Phaaze. All i'd want to add is to try and watch the spacing on the front. The H700 does benefit from the static pressure fans in the front since the airflow on the front is... decent at best.

If you're gaming, using a top mount might be better since you're gonna see GPU thermals rise the most. If you're in production, a front mount might be better.

Also, the Spire will fully lose out to the X53 in terms of cooling. If you want better performance for less money tho, look into a decent tower cooler from a brand like Noctua or be quiet.

other specs

cpu_ryzen 3700x
case_H700
cooler_Kraken X53

81fuik.png

also suggest if the wraith spire is enough or comparable to kraken in terms of temps
Believe LTT has done several videos about airflow and the difference is pretty much negligible.

Persoanlly prefer 3 because of looks with all fans swapped out for be quiet or noctuas so you can run the rad fans fairly fast and the exhaust fans slower to maintain slightly positive pressure

As others have said, all of these will work and all have pluses and minuses. If I had to pick, I would probably pick 2. Giving the rad fans the ability to put more positive air pressure on the rad is a good thing.

Another thing to consider - having fans 'compete' for the same air creates unwanted vortexes. Your rear exhaust fans and top fans will definitely be competing in any of these scenarios. If the intake is strong enough to at least give a little air movement to your VRs, without an exhaust, I wouldn't use an exhaust.

All of this depends on the specs of your fans and how unobstructed the case grills/openings are, of course.

Edit - Is your PSU at the bottom left with one intake and one exhaust fan?

other specs

cpu_ryzen 3700x
case_H700
cooler_Kraken X53

81fuik.png

In theory...either 3 or 4 will offer the 'best' cooling for the CPU, while 1 or 2 offers 'best' cooling for the GPU. Whether fans are in 'push' or 'pull' arrangement depends entirely on aesthetics for your build.

I picked a case that provides cool air to the GPU from the side so I could use option 3/4 to optimize CPU cooling. In your situation, and assuming your case doesn't have a cool-air path to the GPU, I think it depends more on which component can better tolerate the heat whether it's 1/2 or 3/4.

I also think it's important to note that when gaming, a 3700X is going to be bottle necked by a 2070 super (especially so at 1440p) and under-utilized therefore running 'cool'. So even without a cool air path to the GPU, which will then be working hard and hot, the radiaor fans will be throwing a lot of 'cool' air into the case. So 3/4 would most likely be perfectly adequate... or even the stock Spire for that matter. It only becomes an issue when working both CPU and GPU at very high work loads.

Last edited: