[SOLVED] Which is the best file system for a USB drive?

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
I want to use full 16 GB of my USB drive, and also use the drive in my phone.
Using NTFS means I cannot use it on my phone
Using FAT32 means I cannot use the full capacity, only half more or less.

Any other file system? And if so, how do I format it with that file system? My windows 10 explorer only shows NTFS and FAT32 ways of formatting pen drives.

Solution
Hotaro.Ino is right exFat is a solution.

exFat was introduced by Microsoft in 2006 and started to be more popular as the need arose to save files larger than 4GB on external devices. Even so, it is not used as much as it should be.

exFAT was created to solve the problems of FAT32 while maintaining high compatibility between devices. It supports large files (much larger than 4GB), is faster than FAT32, and can be read and written natively by Apple's operating system, while on Linux you just need to install the correct extensions.
It's not better than NTFS, but is more compatible with external hard drives, flash drives like pen drives, memory cards, cell phones.

Windows 10 has this formatting option.

ErickParker

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
Hotaro.Ino is right exFat is a solution.

exFat was introduced by Microsoft in 2006 and started to be more popular as the need arose to save files larger than 4GB on external devices. Even so, it is not used as much as it should be.

exFAT was created to solve the problems of FAT32 while maintaining high compatibility between devices. It supports large files (much larger than 4GB), is faster than FAT32, and can be read and written natively by Apple's operating system, while on Linux you just need to install the correct extensions.
It's not better than NTFS, but is more compatible with external hard drives, flash drives like pen drives, memory cards, cell phones.

Windows 10 has this formatting option.

Solution
It totally depends on your phone. For example, I have a Google Pixel 4a (which I got because it only costs $216) which will only accept usb c drive it formats itself. So its msdos with a maximum file size of 4GB although I can access the whole 114GB is available.

So let your phone do the formatting and learn to live with it.