Which is the fastest Intel CPU after 7900X?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Am I correct that within the X299 platform, the 7900X is the least expensive? Which Intel CPU is the next step down in terms of price and performance?

Solution
Honestly, unless you need the extra PCIe lanes, the 7820 is not really a good buy either. You can get a 2700x for half the price and the x470 platform is much cheaper than the x299. The 2700x will give very similar performance to the 7820x.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

How is 2700x compared with 8700K?

You can run 2 GPUs with 16 lanes, as each GPU will run with 8 lanes each. Pending on the GPU and application, there will be some performance loss, but that loss will be minimal for the most part. The additional lanes can be used for an array of NVMe drivers or other components that can use the PCIe bandwidth.

The bigger question is, what are you using your system for? If it is a gaming rig, do not get Skylake X. They are a hot mess and the 8700k or 2700x will perform as good or better for half the price. If you are building a workstation, I would look strongly at the 2700x as core for core it is not too far behind Skylake X and is MUCH cheaper. If you need all of those PCIe lanes, then go for threadripper. It is a great value compared to Intel's HEDT.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

I am building a workstation, not for gaming. 6-8 cores are good enough. I heard some software libraries I will use are optimised for Intel CPU so I crossed AMD CPUs out of the list. As of today, there won't be any new Intel CPU (especially those with Meltdown and Sprecture removed at hardware level) until the end of the year?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

Thanks. When will that be? How many cores and what is the base frequency? Will it offer more PCIe lanes? Can it use the current Z370 motherboards?

Coffee lake will probably be 6 cores, frequency unknown (ask Intel) PCI-E lanes probably the same as Coffee Lake, Can it use Z370? probably but will need a BIOS update if they can.

Cannon lake is unknown probably 8 cores but beyond that who knows.

Its difficult if not impossible to predict future product releases.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Codename is Whiskey Lake for the upcoming refresh of Coffee Lake, the motherboards will be Z390 chipset. Which will potentially also support Cannon Lake.

All the other threads were not related to gaming, so SLI is not on the table.

I don't know how many times this particular poster has asked about PCIe lanes, there was a whole thread dedicated to the explanation. There really is nothing more to tell you.

Still haven't quite figured out what the purpose of the proposed build is other than potential CUDA programming. And we've stated many times that bandwidth to the cards is not that critical. GPUs have that bandwidth for real time rendering, more or less. Everything else is about memory bandwidth and capacity, and of course the parallel processing capabilities.

Many folks throw in the '2 GPUs at X16 lanes' as though it somehow performs better with 16+16 vs. 8+8, all evidence to the contrary be dam*ed....

Existing GPUs are not yet capable of saturating x8 lanes, much less x16, so 'driving' GPUs' (assuming this means avoiding GPU input bandwidth bottlenecks) is not a concern. (The four games left in existence that work with SLI are unconcerned) :)