[SOLVED] Which is the quietest and coolest GTX 1660 SUPER?

progtech

Reputable
Jun 13, 2017
Hello,
  1. I would like to know, Which is the quietest and coolest GTX 1660 SUPER? Also, Would 1660 SUPER be the best pick for my purpose? Correct me if i'm wrong but i understand that its the best choice in its price range (best pick above it in price seems to be RTX 2060 but it seems that it would not worth its higher price range).
  2. Would my existing fans suffice? I have 5 fans: one on the back, one on the motherboard and two on the front.
Purpose:
Arcade and console gaming emulations from the 80's until ps3 and xbox 360 (and possibly even some ps4) in high settings? Also, it would be nice if it will run current games in high settings.
My current spec:
CPU
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz 33 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 802MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68-V (LGA1155) 30 °C
Graphics
SMBX2450 (1920x1080@59Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 3000 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Storage
3726GB Seagate ST4000DM005-2DP166 (SATA ) 32 °C
2794GB Seagate ST3000DM001-1ER166 (SATA ) 32 °C
931GB Samsung HD103SJ (SATA ) 32 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS70
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

Tower: NZXT Silent H2

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Good to know. Would you say that the MSI Gaming X is the quietest and coolest 1660 SUPER on the market? I don't mind paying a little more to get a quieter and cooler version. Also, would you say 2 fans card is enough? It seems that 2 fan cards are the most popular.
I haven't yet noticed comparisons between the different 1660 SUPER versions, maybe because its a new card and reviewers need time to gather the different variants...

Yes the MSI is probably the quietest or one of the quietest GTX 1660 Supers out there. Worth taking a look at the sound charts form Guru3D that should help you but ignore the idle temps as the Gaming X has a fan stop mode when not being utilised...It is the coolest of the cards tested at load of the 1660...
The MSI Gaming X is exceptional on performance, cooling and sound....May cost a fraction more though...You should have no issues running 1080p high settings even ultra especially at 60Hz which your monitor is rated at. Most of the GTX 1660 Supers from EVGA, MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte etc will do a great job but you pay a little more for the ones with the better cooling solutions and they all have a couple or models or more with the better coolers.

Last edited:
Reactions: progtech

progtech

Reputable
Jun 13, 2017
The MSI Gaming X is exceptional on performance, cooling and sound....May cost a fraction more though...You should have no issues running 1080p high settings even ultra especially at 60Hz which your monitor is rated at. Most of the GTX 1660 Supers from EVGA, MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte etc will do a great job but you pay a little more for the ones with the better cooling solutions and they all have a couple or models or more with the better coolers.
Good to know. Would you say that the MSI Gaming X is the quietest and coolest 1660 SUPER on the market? I don't mind paying a little more to get a quieter and cooler version. Also, would you say 2 fans card is enough? It seems that 2 fan cards are the most popular.
I haven't yet noticed comparisons between the different 1660 SUPER versions, maybe because its a new card and reviewers need time to gather the different variants...

Last edited:

Yes the MSI is probably the quietest or one of the quietest GTX 1660 Supers out there. Worth taking a look at the sound charts form Guru3D that should help you but ignore the idle temps as the Gaming X has a fan stop mode when not being utilised...It is the coolest of the cards tested at load of the 1660 Supers and it is the quietest of the 1660 Supers rested both charts linked..

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1660_super_gaming_x_review,7.html
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1660_super_gaming_x_review,9.html

Reactions: progtech
Solution

progtech

Reputable
Jun 13, 2017
Yes the MSI is probably the quietest or one of the quietest GTX 1660 Supers out there. Worth taking a look at the sound charts form Guru3D that should help you but ignore the idle temps as the Gaming X has a fan stop mode when not being utilised...It is the coolest of the cards tested at load of the 1660 Supers and it is the quietest of the 1660 Supers rested both charts linked..

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1660_super_gaming_x_review,7.html
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1660_super_gaming_x_review,9.html
Impressive! Sounds like it is THE 1660S card to get. I'm buying it next week!
Thanks for helping me decide!

Reactions: vMax