Question Which KVM could I use to switch between my PC and my laptop?

jag_man653

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
I've got an HP laptop with a dodgy keyboard. Rather than try to fix it, I'd like to hook it up with a KVM so i can switch to it from my primary Windows desktop PC. I currently have a another old Windows PC hooked up that way with a IOGear KVM, but the connectors won't match with available ports on the laptop.

Comments & suggestions welcome.

TIA

Ed

Lutfij

Titan
A replacement keyboard shouldn't cost you more than 10USD if you can find the right one for your laptop. Model for your HP branded laptop?

You should also mention the specs to your build since there's only so much we can go about assuming what ports are available on both your laptop and your desktop in order to hook up tot eh KVM.

jag_man653

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
A replacement keyboard shouldn't cost you more than 10USD if you can find the right one for your laptop. Model for your HP branded laptop?

You should also mention the specs to your build since there's only so much we can go about assuming what ports are available on both your laptop and your desktop in order to hook up tot eh KVM.
Thx. I've read a little about replacing the keyboard but decided I'd rather just use the laptop to replace the old Windows 7 desktop I've been using as a back-up machine and use my IOGear KVM to switch between the remaining desktop and the laptop. If I can make that work the laptop can just be set closed on a shelf since I'd be using my wired keyboard and 27" ViewSonic display regardless of which machine I want to use.
I believe all I have to do to accomplish this is to find the right adapter. The IOGear harness that connects to the old Win7 desktop has a female VGA connector and the laptop has an female HDMI connector. So it seems all I need to do is find a connector with male VGA and male HDMI. It's easy to find 6-ft cables like this, but I'd rather find something about he size of a thumb drive with the requisite connectors at the ends.