Question Which laptop would suit me best ?

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
Hi, I have been planning on buying a new laptop for my college work. I major in graphics design, and soon I will begin working in Blender, Unity, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects.
My budget is 600 - 700 dollars, and I live in Serbia.
My options are:

1. Asus Vivobook 15 OLED K513EA-OLED-L511 (i5 1135G7, Intel Iris Xe, 8GB RAM)
  2. Asus TUF Gaming F15 (i5 10300H, GTX 1650 4GB, 16GB RAM)
  3. Dell Vostro 3525 (Ryzen 7 5825U, Radeon Graphics, 16GB RAM)
  4. Gigabyte U4 UD (i5 1155G7, Intel Iris Xe, 16GB RAM)
  5. Dell Vostro 3525 (Ryzen 5 5625U, Radeon Graphics, 8GB)

For the applications I've mentioned, do I need a dedicated GPU or are the integrated ones good enough for college work? One of these laptops has 1650 4GB. Is that one better for me than the other ones?

Also, weight is a big factor for me. I plan on carrying it to different places everyday, so I don't want it to be too heavy.

Hey there,

So, yes a dedicated card will serve you better. The dGPU doesn't use host system ram. The other integrated iGPU's will. This cuts down on available system ram for other tasks.

Can you link the site where you are buying from, and we can take a closer look.

Last edited:
Reactions: matacar

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
Hey there,

So, yes a dedicated card will serve you better. The dGPU doesn't host system ram. The other integrated iGPU's will. This cuts down on available system ram for other tasks.

Can you link the site where you are buying from, and we can take a closer look.
https://www.ctshop.rs/laptop-racunari
https://gigatron.rs/prenosni-racunari/laptop-racunari
They are all Serbian sites so I apologize if you have any difficulties surfing them.

The Asus TUF Gaming F15 would be my pick as well, it has good build quality and you get the Nvidia 1650. It's not the most portable of the bunch sadly, if I was carrying something daily I would look at a laptop no heavier than 1.8kg, 1.6kg would be more ideal.

The Gigabyte is very portable, it's extremely light at just under 1kg and pretty well made. It's battery life however is very low for an ultra portable laptop at 4.5 hours for web browsing. If the latter is not a deal breaker then it still might be worth considering.

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
You're very welcome! Happy computing/gaming! :)
What would your opinion be on a used and well take care of MacBook Air M1 8/256 (2020) or Macbook Air 13 2020 / i5 / 8Gb / 500Gb hdd (750 - 780 euro)?
Do you think it will be able to do the job for a college student for graphic design and 3D?

What would your opinion be on a used and well take care of MacBook Air M1 8/256 (2020) or Macbook Air 13 2020 / i5 / 8Gb / 500Gb hdd (750 - 780 euro)?
Do you think it will be able to do the job for a college student for graphic design and 3D?
I would expect the Macbook Air M1 to do a decent job if the software can run natively. It's a lot more powerful than the previous i5 model. Do you know what software they will be using?

Dec 16, 2022
The Asus TUF Gaming F15 would be my pick as well, it has good build quality and you get the Nvidia 1650. It's not the most portable of the bunch sadly, if I was carrying something daily I would look at a laptop no heavier than 1.8kg, 1.6kg would be more ideal.

The Gigabyte is very portable, it's extremely light at just under 1kg and pretty well made. It's battery life however is very low for an ultra portable laptop at 4.5 hours for web browsing. If the latter is not a deal breaker then it still might be worth considering.
I also followed the recommendation for the Asus TUF F15.. but when rendering some big projects, it gets slow and uses lot of battery. Especially when I am traveling, I have issues because I can not charge everywhere. I now start rendering on a cloud workstation, so I can continue working on other projects while it is rendering in he background

TRENDING THREADS