Discussion Which mac should I get for school?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Splendid
A big reason to select the Pro over the Air is that I infer this machine has got to last you 2-3 years, perhaps more. I'd recommend getting the most powerful machine you can. The MacBook Pro is a bit faster than the MacBook Air (even though the Air is quite fast). As far as weight...you're a guy. 4.5lbs vs ~3lbs. Not a tremendous difference there. The Pro offers better expandibility as well. The Air is nice machine, but I'd not let the slight weight savings be the driving push to get one.

Again, I've had both machines and they're both nice.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
What macs do you use now? Curious did you ever receive my email to you? Thanks Marv

halcyon

Splendid

Heya Marv, I use a 2010 Mac Pro, a 2011 15" i7 MacBook Pro, and a 2009 13" Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro. I didn't get your email but I'll PM you my email address.

PedroJohnston

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Dude, get the 11" macbook air 100%. It just fit's beautifully in you backpack and it's really easy to manage. It occupies minimal space in your desk/sideways thing.
If it's only for school and taking notes and browse wikipedia and such, definitely get the 11" Air. Trust me, the 13" Air is just to big.
If you really want a bit more screen reel estate, get the MBP 13", but it'll be heavier and slower to boot up, which is important in class context.

What i recomend:
Get the 11" MBA
13" MBA is a waste
13"MBP > 13"MBA any day of the week

halcyon

Splendid

The 11" MacBook Air is a great 2nd machine, if high-portability is desired. ...but as your only machine? If you're going to have an external monitor and you're going to go with the more-expensive Core i7 model, then maybe...otherwise I don't think that's the best choice for you.

PedroJohnston

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011

Exactly, but he stated that he already has a good main laptop, and that's why i think the 11" MBA is the perfect candidate for the job.

halcyon

Splendid

Yeah, as a 2nd ultra-portable machine...its a good choice. ...and the i7 model is surprisingly fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.