Question Which MB and why?

instawookie

Reputable
Jun 13, 2021
Just compare the two,
link: https://www.msi.com/Motherboards/Pr...LVo3OTAtQUNF,TVBHLVo3OTAtQ0FSQk9OLVdJRkktSUk=

If you want less lanes on PCI-E x16 slots and slower bandwidth, then sure, go for Carbon Wifi II.
Bwhahaha , woops... I think when I did my comparison, I forgot which board was left and right. But none the less that's exactly what I was looking at as far as differences that stood out. :LOL:

I think this also threw me for a loop too on the ace board.

"PCI_E1 slot will run at x8 speed when installing device in the PCI_E2 slot or M2_4 slot.
**M2_4 slot will be unavailable when installing device in the PCI_E2 slot."

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I think this also threw me for a loop too on the ace board.

"PCI_E1 slot will run at x8 speed when installing device in the PCI_E2 slot or M2_4 slot.
**M2_4 slot will be unavailable when installing device in the PCI_E2 slot."
Well, since both PCI_E1 and PCI_E2 are using CPU PCI-E lanes, thus providing PCI-E 5.0 speeds, it is normal that some of those PCI-E lanes are shared with M.2 slot. Since some M.2 slots also use CPU PCI-E lanes and CPUs have limited number of lanes. Now, if you'd run Xeon CPU, with plethora of PCI-E lanes, it would be different story, but consumer CPUs have limited number of PCI-E lanes.

Then, there is the question if you'd be using more than one PCI-E x16 slot? One slot for sure is reserved for GPU. But other two? I doubt you'd run dual-GPU, since SLI/CrossFire is long dead. This would leave M.2_4 free to use and utilize fast CPU PCI-E lanes.

instawookie

Reputable
Jun 13, 2021
Bwhahaha , woops... I think when I did my comparison, I forgot which board was left and right. But none the less that's exactly what I was looking at as far as differences that stood out. :LOL:

Well, since both PCI_E1 and PCI_E2 are using CPU PCI-E lanes, thus providing PCI-E 5.0 speeds, it is normal that some of those PCI-E lanes are shared with M.2 slot. Since some M.2 slots also use CPU PCI-E lanes and CPUs have limited number of lanes. Now, if you'd run Xeon CPU, with plethora of PCI-E lanes, it would be different story, but consumer CPUs have limited number of PCI-E lanes.

Then, there is the question if you'd be using more than one PCI-E x16 slot? One slot for sure is reserved for GPU. But other two? I doubt you'd run dual-GPU, since SLI/CrossFire is long dead. This would leave M.2_4 free to use and utilize fast CPU PCI-E lanes.
Yea, I'm just using a singular 4090 w/ a 14700k and currently got 4 M.2 drives. 970 Evo for windows and 3x 980 Pro M.2s for games and movies. I think I was misunderstanding this mostly PCI_E1 slot will run at x8 speed when installing device in the PCI_E2 slot or M2_4 slot, In the scenario I use all of my current M.2's I would reduce speed of the GPU because I would end up utilizing slot #4 for the m.2's.