Which MOBO? (Have done extensive research)

Oct 5, 2018
So I bought an 8700k a couple of weeks ago because I was anticipating the 14nm shortage to kill the price. I also got a new Noctua NH-D15s and equipped it on my old I5-2500k @ 4.4.

I've been doing extensive research on power phases, overclock potential mobos, what the 8700k is capable of, and what Z390 board I can buy that will be futureproofed for newer 8-core+ CPUs down the road when that time comes.

I've been looking at many, MANY mobos. Right now I'm trying to get my bills in order and get ahead, so I got some time, first off. Secondly, I don't mind paying for quality. I don't know much about "High Quality Japanese Conductors" and stuff like that, that all the manufacturers boast about.

I've been comparing and looking at the following, I'd like to stay around 180-280$ or less for what I'm looking for.

AsRock Extreme4 ~175$

AsRock Phantom Gaming 6 ~195$

Asus Maximus XI Hero ~290$

Gigabyte Aorus Master ~290$

Gigabyte Aorus Ultra ~240$

What I'm mainly looking for is OC performance. So, Power Phases (which all of these are 10-14 I beleive), and components that will keep up with a 8700k @ 5.0 or higher. Also planning on getting the DDR4 up to 4000MhZ at least. Everything else outside of this is creature comforts. I am however planning on setting up quite a few fans throughtout a nice air-flow case, so 6+ optional fans for the case I want would be nice.
I play with a headset on (Void Pro Wireless), always hard-lined into my router, dual monitors, Strafe RGB Silent Mech. KB, and have very little need for anything else hooked into the computer.

With that said. It's really hard for me to make a decision here. I had a user here on another post mention that Extreme4 for the price and the 12 power phases, but I've never had an AsRock and I don't want to make a mistake here. I've had Gigabyte boards, and I love Asus build quality. I know what I'm doing when OC'ing, just need the hardware for it. When i upgrade, I want to avoid replacing 3-4 parts at the same time like I'm doing now, it's expensive, hence the Z390 choice.

Update: Approx. prices added

Oct 5, 2018
Phantom 6 Supports ASRock Hyper BCLK Engine II, the extreme4 doesn't. Isn't this mainly used for OC'ing non-K processors or something like that? I don't know much about it.
Other than that, there are some tiny changes, nothing that would affect performance.

So 175$ vs 195$... 20$ for looks and RGB + Hyper BCLK Engine 2 with some tiny bells and whistles... That's the question there I extrapolate. hmm...

Oct 5, 2018
I'm comparing a lot against the Extreme4 and besides looks and gimmicky stuff like "steel armor" around the PCIE slots... I'm trying to see a reason to actually spend more money... and I'm coming up short... I don't like have the Extreme4 shares so many PCI lanes but I don't know if the other do too. You can basicly run 2 Sata drives and 2 M.2 drives and that's it. I currently have 1 HDD and 2 sata, and I would like to get an NVME M.2... I guess that's my only real gripe, it would leave me with 1 sata connection open.

Besides some fan headers, USB 3.1 etc. extras, an extra M.2 slot... hell... Am I missing something or did AsRock really hit the nail on the head with no-non-sense, good OC board for cheap?

I think the Aorus boards are really nice with their extra cooling around the CPU, not sure if that would help. Same performance, but extra cooling factors and better heatsinks (as it seems through their propaganda on the website)