Which monitor would you suggest....

KevinGuy

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
Ok here is the three monitors I have been looking at... Which one of the three would you suggest... Looking for a 19" monitor....

Viewsonic P95f - Leaning towards this one....
Hitachi B-CM771 (Or a better one)-Dont know to much about them....
Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454 - Did well in Reviews....

Or is there any other monitors that you would suggest that would have about the same price range 300 - 400 dollars, I will be using this monitor for just about anything(Word Processing, PhotoShop, Adobe Premiere, and lots of games-Counter Strike mostly) and I will be using it alot.. So do you think a shadow mask or a Apiture grill... I am thinking Apiture grill monitor... What do you guys think?

Thanks for any replies..

--Kevin<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by KevinGuy on 05/16/02 12:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

KevinGuy

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
Thanks for the reply, any reason why you would choose that specific one? Any one else have any comments or sugestions?

--Kevin

gryph0n

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
I just got a P95F about a week and a half ago. I read the review here. I read reviews/posts everywhere and I couldn't really find a single negative comment. The Iiyama looked really nice too, but here and there, I saw some complaints about its clarity. So I went with the P95F and I'm really not impressed. I have a 19" Dell Trinitron at work and the text is crystal. The colors are dull, but the text is perfect. The P95F really does not come close. I run 1600x1200 so that extra level of clarity really makes a difference. Games look great, I'll give it that. The color is bright and there's a glow to everything that I can't quite put my finger on. But for straight desktop use, I can't help but feel disappointed. I can go down to 60Hz and it looks a little better, but who wants to run 60Hz?

BTW, if anyone has any advice in terms of squeaking out some extra clarity on this monitor, I'm listening. As far as I know, there is no way to adjust convergence.

KevinGuy

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
But how bad is the text.... Is it to the point where you just dont want to read anymore and you must strain your eyes to read? Or are the edges of the text just a bit blocky? I will be using the monitor in 1600x1200 mode. I dont mind if it is just a bit blocky but I dont want to strain my eyes to read it because it is blurry or something... Thanks again for the feedback...

--Kevin

gryph0n

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
It's not awful. It's worse at the corners and appears to be a convergence problem. Maybe I just got a bad monitor or maybe I'm just picky. My roommate doesn't know what I'm talking about, but then again, he barely noticed the improvement when I went from VHS to DVD.

I imagine I could exchange it if I'm willing to pay about $100 for round-trip shipping, but I don't know if it's worth the $100. So it's not unusable. It's not as pleasant as my Dell Trinitron, but it doesn't strain my eyes.

The fact is, who wants a monitor that someone describes as "not unusable?" If I could go back in time, I'd probably get the Sony G420, but being stuck with a P95F is not the worst thing in the world. I definitely expected more after reading all the reviews out there.

KevinGuy

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
What have you read about the Sony G420? Have you seen this monitor in person? Or did you just read good things about it? hehe sorry if it feels like I am picking your brain apart but I want a extremly good monitor.... Thanks again...

--Kevin

gryph0n

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
It's cool, I like talking. I'm also definitely not an expert and if anyone reading this has any advice for improving the clarity on my P95F, I really want to hear it.

I've seen the Sony G420 in a store. It was running in 1280x1024 so it was hard to really get a feel for it, but we have G520s in my office and they look great, only bigger. I'm also happy with Trinitron tubes because of the Dell variety I use and I like the Sony name. So that's why I'd go for the G420. I almost got the Iiyama Visionmaster 454, but then I read a few negative comments.

Other than that, I've read all sorts of things about the G420. I've seen people strongly recommend it. I've seen people recommend the P95F instead. There are tons of threads that mention it in these forums alone.

Good luck with your decision.

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
i have a g420. i am not too impressed with the text either and i am running at 1280x1024(i don't care if its the clearest dman thing in the world 1600 is just way to small for me). but anyways, i guess i am spoiled because i am used to the LCD text sharpness.

by the way, isn't the p95f using the sony trinitron tube too?

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
No It still uses the Mitsubishi NF CRT. The manufactuer who makes it for Viewsonic has an exclusive contract with Mitsubishi.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I just got the Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454 yesterday, so I can tell you what I think of it in the short time of using it.

It came double box, which was good for shipping. The monitor was in one piece, so no putting it together, not that, that would be hard anyway. It looks great, and is a pure flat screen. So flat it almost looks indented, I'll have to get use to a flat screen. One thing I'll note is they say once and awhile during shipping, something can come out of alignment, where you might have to tap on the side, or put a pure white page on the screen and leave it, and it will fix it's self. OooK

I turned it on and set the resolution to what I wanted, and had to stretch the picture. There are two very light lines on the screen, about 3 inches from the top and bottom. They are Damper Wires, which is the shadows of steel wires. You can see them a little, mainly during text.

I was playing UT, and changing the resolution during the game, and the bullet holes were showing up on big white squares. Weird stuff, not sure if a restart of the game, or the computer fix that.

This monitor seems bigger then my other one, which wasn't pure flat. As for the Picture Quality set, it seems that I found text to be the best, no matter what I'm doing, which adds more contrast.

To make a long story short. I seen a review and the person couldn't have said it better.
If you want it for Text No.
If you want it for Gaming Yes

I'm a Gamer and I like love it. I am using a gf2 ultra, and wish I had a gf4, cause when I crank up the resolution in fighting games my card just ant cutting it anymore, but the picture is great. The people look more real, and I see more markings on their face that I didn't see with the temporary 15" monitor I was using. The monitor can support resolution up to 1920x1440, but I see a setting for 2048x1536. Even around 1920x1440 is a hole hack of a lot. Good for Gaming, just don't pair it with a whippy video card

Also, what I like about it, if I have two computer, you can plug both of them into the monitor, also the keyboard and mouse plug into the monitor, so all you need is two computer, one of everything els. They did say the USB ports might not work with all, assuming their taking old stuff, I haven't tried the USB port.

It uses Diamondron, which is supposed to be generations ahead of the others. Might exsplain some of the above tweaking. Tweaking maybe required, but I love it, excited to play games, and I can't wait to get another video card. 3 yr. warranty

P.S Slight lost of clarity on the edges, now that I'm looking.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jiffy on 05/18/02 08:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

zigzag

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2002
jiffy, I have a few questions for you. Did you order it online, and if you did, where did you order it? I would like to buy if locally, but finding a local dealer on their site is like pulling teeth. Concerning the text, is it usable? I'm a programmer as well as a gamer and was wondering how bad the text is. I guess I could change the resolution when coding. The dual monitor plugin and included USB ports sound really handy, and Tom's review place this monitor as my number one choice. But before buying I wanted to hear from real life users. Thanks!

-zigzag

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I ordered it over the phone, from this sight. I called to ask a question, and it was just as simple to order over the phone. I think the grand total was 447. and was here with in a few days.

<A HREF="http://www.widgetsinc.com/shop/page42.html" target="_new">http://www.widgetsinc.com/shop/page42.html</A>

Tom's review place this monitor number one. One of the reasons I bought it.

Ooops >Concerning the text, is it usable?<
It's pretty good, maybe not the best, but it's not blurry or anything. I'd say it's better for gaming and graphics, then text alone.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jiffy on 05/20/02 12:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

KevinGuy

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
Wow, thanks for all the info you guys =) I finnally decided which monitor to get and it wasnt any of those monitors. I went with the Hitachi CM772. A couple of guys at my work had this and they play games and Program all day so they do both. Just about all of them suggested me getting the Hitachi. So I did it. I should be getting it this weak some time and I will give you all a review about it when I get it. Seemed to be a extremly nice monitor and I read some good reviews about it. So I guess we will wait and see what happends.

Thanks again for all the comments on this post.

--Kevin

KevinGuy

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
Review of the Hitachi CM772 -
I received the monitor from Hitachi in a well packed box. I set the monitor up and there were a few things that you had to adjust but once you got those few things done the monitor was great for everything. I am extremly impressed with the monitor and I am glad that I chose it. If you do not like messsing around with the setings on monitors then I would not sugest this monitor but if yhou do not mind doing that then I know you will be impressed with this monitor. The text is very crisp and you can easily read it, the colors are rich and more that I thought they would be with a Shadow Mask monitor. I would give this monitor 8/10 stars. the reasom for it not being 10/10 would be becouse you do have to mess with the settings to get what you want alot. But once that is done it is a AWSOME monitor =). Thanks again for all your thoughts and suggestions.

--Kevin

SnkeSkiner

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2002
I also have a 21" Hitachi CM811+ and the text is really clear. There are a lot of settings to mess with. That is what makes these monitors so great.

Asus A7V333 RAID
1800+ AMD XP
DDRAM 512M | DDR333 PC-2700

TRENDING THREADS