Which Motherboard for VR?

Scraquos

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
So, I was just looking for some help trying to choose the right motherboard for my current build. This build, specifically, is designed around the HTC Vive. I had initially figured that since I was building for VR to try going for the higher end motherboards, but as I am getting closer to actually purchasing the motherboard (the last of the parts I plan to purchase), I have found myself starting to freak out about whether or not to stay with my current choice or not.

The motherboard I initially was going with was the ASUS Maximus VIII Hero, however, reading more and more reviews it seems that opinions go both ways and I am not sure anymore whether to go with it or not.

My other choices were between the ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming/Aura board and the ASUS Z170-A motherboard, I had considered MSI at one point, but when considering how the PCI-E cards I have for both wireless and sound are ASUS I figured I might as well go with ASUS.

Following is my current part list (which I have most of barring the CPU), and following that the link to the part list via PC Part Picker

Part List:

CPU: Intel Core i-7 6700k
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ? (current choice ASUS Maximus VIII Hero)
Memory: (x2) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive,
Western Digital Black 5TB
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Opt. PCI-E Cards: Asus PCE-AC68 Wi-Fi Adapter, Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card
Fans: (x2) Corsair Air Series AF140 140mm

HTC Vive VR PC Build

Solution

Well, to be honest, if you're planning to spend as much as you are, I would get the 7700K and a Maximus IX Hero for less than fifty bucks more. Definitely consider that.

010TheMaster010

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
You do not need a high end motherboard. If you will be overclocking, like the looks, have the extra cash, etc. then go for it. It is your money. But understand that it it not necessary for you to have a super high end motherboard for VR.

Scraquos

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015

What would you suggest as a good motherboard then? Especially if one is not going to be overclocking in the near future, but still have the possibility for overclocking a little build in.

010TheMaster010

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014

Well, to be honest, if you're planning to spend as much as you are, I would get the 7700K and a Maximus IX Hero for less than fifty bucks more. Definitely consider that.

Solution