Question Which motherboard has the same specs as "Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus", plus front panel USB-C and a revert BIOS button?

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
Which motherboard has the same specs as "Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus", but also supports front USB-C + Revert BIOS button?
  • I would prefer if the motherboard has dual BIOS.
  • I don't care about LAN and RGB.
  • I don't care about price, but would prefer a board below $300.
Every board I've found so far is not available anymore or is sold by scalpers.

EDIT:
After a couple of replies, I think I need to be more specific.

Here is a link to the spec for the "Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus" motherboard:

Also, the features of the "Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus" board that I find most important are (that the other board must also have):
  • Same size, ie. normal ATX
  • Militaray grade
  • TPM 2.0
  • PCIe Express 4.0 slot for the GPU
  • An M.2 PCIe 4.0 slot for the SSD, connected directly to the CPU (not via the chipset)
  • Ability to work with enthusiast DDR4 RAM, ie. 3600Mhz C14 or better
  • 2.5G LAN
  • Easy to overclock

Last edited:
Specs in terms of what? Number of ports? PCIe slots? What? I assume you're not looking for another AM4 board.

Regarding the features though:
  • Dual BIOS isn't really necessary anymore since companies have found a way to allow BIOS flashing even without CPU or RAM installed. And unless you have some sort of hardware incompatibility/issue that a BIOS update resolves (and is specifically listed), you shouldn't be updating BIOS anyway.
  • If by "revert BIOS" you mean reset all the settings, a lot of boards have a jumper header that takes care of this. If you don't want find a way to short it or pop the coin battery out, you can add a switch to the jumper

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
By a 'revert BIOS' button do you mean a switchable dual BIOS?

Revert BIOS is to be able to revert to the previous BIOS, by pressing a switch on the motherboard or the like. Dual BIOS is when I can have two setups that I switch between, for example silent mode and overclocked mode OR it's the same as revert BIOS OR when a malfunctioning BIOS is loaded, it will automatically fall back to the previous BIOS (the most common meaning).

Last edited:

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
Thank you for your reply.

Specs in terms of what? Number of ports? PCIe slots? What? I assume you're not looking for another AM4 board.
A board with the same specs, plus more - that includes the same chipset. Here is the specs for the board:
Obviously the board I am looking for should support the same RAM types, but may not support the same exact models. For example here are the RAM specs for the board:
Code:
4 x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR4
5100(O.C)/5000(O.C)/4800(O.C.)/4600(O.C)/4400(O.C)/4266(O.C.)/4133(O.C.)/4000(O.C.)/3866(O.C.)/
3733(O.C.)/3600(O.C.)/3466(O.C.)/3400(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2933/2800/2666/2400/2133 MHz Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture

Dual BIOS isn't really necessary anymore since companies have found a way to allow BIOS flashing even without CPU or RAM installed. And unless you have some sort of hardware incompatibility/issue that a BIOS update resolves (and is specifically listed), you shouldn't be updating BIOS anyway.
Revert BIOS and Dual BIOS are sometimes the same, sometimes it means that if the new BIOS fails, then the other BIOS is loaded (the usual meaning), sometimes it means that you can swap between two BIOS's (or the same BIOS with different settings). The Tuf Gaming X570-Plus does not allow any of that, you need a CPU to install a BIOS on that board + an USB stick or a disk. The board that I buy in the store, might not support the CPU because it needs a BIOS upgrade. The latest BIOS for the board is listed as unsupported, which means updating the BIOS might fail. Any BIOS update can fail for various reasons.

If by "revert BIOS" you mean reset all the settings, a lot of boards have a jumper header that takes care of this. If you don't want find a way to short it or pop the coin battery out, you can add a switch to the jumper

I mean revert to the previously installed BIOS (or factory default BIOS). I do not mean reset. The Asus board that I listed can not do that. And does not have any USB-C front panel connectors.

Last edited:

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
Thank you for your suggestion.

It does not have front USB-C, which was what I wrote I am looking for. Compared to the TUF 570X-Plus, the B650M-Plus does not have a TPM connector, ie. no Windows 11 and it does not have two PCIe 4.0 slots for M.2. and more. See:
https://versus.com/en/asus-rog-strix-b550-f-gaming-vs-asus-tuf-gaming-x570-plus

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
Last edited:

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
Thank you for replying.

The only manufacturer that as far as I can tell does dual BIOS options is Gigabyte, because they patented the feature. So your choices of X570 Gigabyte boards within your price range currently are https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#m=18&c=138&sort=price&page=1&X=0,31228

Everyone else just does some sort of "you don't need a CPU" type of BIOS update mechanism through a specific USB port.

Yeah I have looked at those boards, and some were almost what I wanted. Although not on the list you linked, this motherboard looks attractive:

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
https://versus.com/en/asus-tuf-gaming-x570-plus-vs-gigabyte-x570s-aorus-master

Looks like I will have to spend more on the motherboard than I expected - sigh. But I get;
  • Excellent VRM comparable with or better than the Asus board
  • Passive cooling of chipset which is better than the Asus board
  • Dual Bios
But it looks like I still don't get front panel USB-C, but I am not sure. I can't determine it from the spec. I am also looking at the Formula, Dark Hero or Extreme editions of "Asus ROG Crosshair VIII" .

Last edited:
It does not have TPM, ie. no Windows 11.
The TPM is built into modern processors... in Ryzen it's called an fTPM, or firmware TPM. Works fine on my 3700X and 5800X systems both running Windows 11 with TPM enabled.

Intel has one too but they call it PTT or Platform Trust Technology.

But it looks like I still don't get front panel USB-C, but I am not sure.

You can just as easily use a PCIe add-in card or plug-in adapter to convert a USB-3 header to a header for a front panel USB-C connection. This gives you a lot more flexibility in choosing a motherboard.

I'd prefer the PCIe add-in card because that way you'll be sure of getting the higher power capability of a USB C connection for fast charging of devices.

Last edited: