[SOLVED] Which motherboard option makes the most sense?

Aug 16, 2020
Hey everyone -

I am currently in the market to spend about $1700ish on a gaming desktop and need help deciding which is the "best" motherboard option.

I intend on purchasing the AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (3.6 GHZ) for my processor and the Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super (8GB) for my video card.

After doing some research, it seems like the following motherboards are good options in my price range considering I am going with AMD over Intel:

1.) Asus ROG Strix X570 - E Gaming

2.) MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon

I intend to purchase through either IBuyPower or Cyber Power PC, which I believe limits my choices somewhat. Nonetheless, does anyone know which of the 2 options is the "best" choice or if there is a different one I should consider? I intend on using this primarily for gaming and do not plan on updating my system any time soon.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Solution
Hey everyone -

I am currently in the market to spend about $1700ish on a gaming desktop and need help deciding which is the "best" motherboard option.

I intend on purchasing the AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (3.6 GHZ) for my processor and the Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super (8GB) for my video card.

After doing some research, it seems like the following motherboards are good options in my price range considering I am going with AMD over Intel:

I intend to purchase through either IBuyPower or Cyber Power PC, which I believe limits my choices somewhat. Nonetheless, does anyone know which of the 2 options is the "best" choice or if there is a different one I should consider...
Aug 16, 2020
Thank you for the reply! That is great info to know, considering I keep it pretty basic with what I do with my system (I don't overclock). I will look into something a bit cheaper that fits my needs and can save me a few dollars.

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Hey everyone -

I intend to purchase through either IBuyPower or Cyber Power PC, which I believe limits my choices somewhat. Nonetheless, does anyone know which of the 2 options is the "best" choice or if there is a different one I should consider? I intend on using this primarily for gaming and do not plan on updating my system any time soon.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

The MSI MPG X570 board is the better priced one, and it seems about the same thing. They both have the same general features, the only real tradeoff is no wifi or bluetooth, but that can be fixed with a cheap wifi/bluetooth card. The best would be the MPG X570, but ASUS is generally more reliable if you're overclocking heavily, so that would be the only real legitimate reason to go with the x570-e

Solution
Aug 16, 2020
Thank you for differentiating between the two. I don't intend on overclocking so that definitely leads me to the MPG X570. The earlier post makes me wonder if it is worth it to go a little cheaper but I do like the concept of future proofing which the X570 seems to provide.

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Thank you for differentiating between the two. I don't intend on overclocking so that definitely leads me to the MPG X570. The earlier post makes me wonder if it is worth it to go a little cheaper but I do like the concept of future proofing which the X570 seems to provide.

yeah the mpg x570 is probably the best for you then. X570 is also pretty futureproof, given the pcie gen 4 capabilities and forwards compatibility with the 500 series chipset. The only real downside is that DDR5 is coming out soon, but then again, there's always a new technology on the horizon, and we shouldn't buy according to the next hot thing because there's always a next hot thing.