[SOLVED] Which motherboard should I choose?

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
Hi, I am planning to buy ryzen 3 3100.
I cannot decide between two motherboards.
Asrock b450M-HDV and Asrock b450M-hdv R4.0
What are you suggestions?

Solution
HDV R.04 looks like its better suited to Air cooling then. It has more fan connections for starters.

all the other stats on the boards are the same as the ones I mentioned.

Colif

Win 11 Master
wonders what differences are - appears to be support for water pumps.
they are virtually the same, there are only a few differences. Do you plan on using an AIO or air cooling? That is basically the difference here.
I wonder if there is a difference between Digi Power design & 6 Power phase design. they are probably same things.

connectors
HDV has 1 x Print Port
1 x Chassis Fan Connector (3-pin)**
1 x Chassis/Water Pump Fan Connector (4-pin) (Smart Fan Speed Control)

HDV R.04 doesn't have the water pump connector, it has 2 x Chassis Fan Connectors (1 x 3-pin, 1 x 4-pin

Hardware monitor on both track different things
HDV has
  • Temperature Sensing: CPU, Chassis, Chassis/Water Pump Fans
  • Fan Tachometer: CPU, Chassis, Chassis/Water Pump Fans
  • Quiet Fan (Auto adjust chassis fan speed by CPU temperature): CPU, Chassis, Chassis/Water Pump Fans
  • Fan Multi-Speed Control: CPU, Chassis, Chassis/Water Pump Fans
HDV r4 has
  • CPU/Chassis temperature sensing
  • CPU/Chassis Fan Tachometer
  • CPU/Chassis Quiet Fan
  • CPU/Chassis Fan multi-speed control
possible both have same features, they just described them differently.
the HDV is slightly bigger in dimensions.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M-HDV/index.asp#Specification
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M-HDV R4.0/#Specification

Last edited:

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
wonders what differences are - appears to be support for water pumps.
they are virtually the same, there are only a few differences. Do you plan on using an AIO or air cooling? That is basically the difference here.
I wonder if there is a difference between Digi Power design & 6 Power phase design. they are probably same things.

connectors
HDV has 1 x Print Port
1 x Chassis Fan Connector (3-pin)**
1 x Chassis/Water Pump Fan Connector (4-pin) (Smart Fan Speed Control)

HDV R.04 doesn't have the water pump connector, it has 2 x Chassis Fan Connectors (1 x 3-pin, 1 x 4-pin

Hardware monitor on both track different things
HDV has
  • Temperature Sensing: CPU, Chassis, Chassis/Water Pump Fans
  • Fan Tachometer: CPU, Chassis, Chassis/Water Pump Fans
  • Quiet Fan (Auto adjust chassis fan speed by CPU temperature): CPU, Chassis, Chassis/Water Pump Fans
  • Fan Multi-Speed Control: CPU, Chassis, Chassis/Water Pump Fans
HDV r4 has
  • CPU/Chassis temperature sensing
  • CPU/Chassis Fan Tachometer
  • CPU/Chassis Quiet Fan
  • CPU/Chassis Fan multi-speed control
possible both have same features, they just described them differently.
the HDV is slightly bigger in dimensions.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M-HDV/index.asp#Specification
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M-HDV R4.0/#Specification
I am gonna use air cooling. And I am a little bit overwhelmed by all of this information. Which one should I choose?

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
HDV R.04 looks like its better suited to Air cooling then. It has more fan connections for starters.

all the other stats on the boards are the same as the ones I mentioned.
Thanks, by the way. I have one more question if you dont mind.
What would be the most powerful cpu that this board can handle?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I did actually think about that.

according to this site, the most popular CPU on that motherboard are R5 3600 & r5 2600 - link - which are more sane CPU for that motherboard.

So just an FYI, if a CPU is listed on the mobo support page it means that the BIOS supports it, but doesn't necessarily mean the board can run it well. E.g. your board also lists support for the 3950X, but I wouldn't try to run a 16 core CPU with your board.

That said, if gaming is the most intensive thing you're doing that isn't going to be maxing out all cores and drawing near-maximum power the way something like rendering or encoding would. So a 2600X or 2700X should still work fine.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...u-guys-buy-for-asrock-b450m-hdv-r4-0.3556062/

Reactions: magzzy124

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
now the topic is moving away from what it started as, I would make a new question asking that.

Maybe tell us what you want to do with PC as well as that might reduce the number of suggestions :)
I want my pc to be an all rounder. I do not want to buy a motherboard now and a year later I could not use it on a more power hungry cpu. I want to be kind of secure for the near future.

I want my pc to be an all rounder. I do not want to buy a motherboard now and a year later I could not use it on a more power hungry cpu. I want to be kind of secure for the near future.

There arent really any low end b550 boards, even the cheaper ones have decent vrm setups that will handle upto a 3800x with ease.

The 2 boards you mention I personally wouldnt go above one of the 65w tdp 6c/12t cpu's.

What you choose would depend entirely on your location, prices and availability??

The benefit of b550 is that any 3000 series cpu will work out of the box whereas b450 boards may require a bios update which cannot be done without an earlier series cpu. (apart from the msi max boards which have usb flashback without a cpu installed)