[SOLVED] Which motherboard should I get for r5 3600

twitchycollins

Reputable
Nov 24, 2018
Looking to upgrade to a R5 3600 CPU and found 3 motherboards that have good reviews and relatively inexpensive.
MSI B450M gaming plus
ASRock B450m Pro 4
ASRock x570m Pro 4

Need an M-ATX motherboard

Current setup is
R5 1600
MSI B350M bazooka
2x8gb ram @3000
Rx580 4gb
1tb HDD
1tb sdd

Solution
Why upgrade?
Your current motherboard supports it after a BIOS update (BIOS 1L)

If not, the B450M Gaming Plus is a solid choice, any B450 would also require a BIOS update asides the MSI MAX variants.

twitchycollins

Reputable
Nov 24, 2018
Okay. looks like I'd have to do a beta bios update for it to work, are beta updates okay to use?
And would I have to do each update individually or can I skip to the most current?
(New to computer building)

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, beta should be OK. And I'd flash right to the latest BIOS. Your motherboard manual should tell you how to flash the BIOS if you don't know how. It also may say something about whether you should flash incrementally or go straight to the end, in which case follow whatever it says.

Edit: Forget about the Mortar MAX, as pointed out below. Availability in north america seems spotty though.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC Tailor
Looking to upgrade to a R5 3600 CPU and found 3 motherboards that have good reviews and relatively inexpensive.
MSI B450M gaming plus
ASRock B450m Pro 4
ASRock x570m Pro 4

Need an M-ATX motherboard

If it's in your budget and you don't mind the cost, I gotta say go for the X570m Pro 4. Really top notch in mATX... but also very much over-kill if you never load it up with a 3950x processor and Gen4 NVME's.

To save some money, and probably nothing performance-wise, the B450m Gaming Plus or, like TJHooker suggest, an MSI "MAX".. Specifically B450m Mortar MAX if you have access to one..so you don't have to fret the BIOS update.

Reactions: TJ Hooker