Which motherboard to pick?

Oct 20, 2018
Hello there,

I am planning to upgrade my PC from a i5-7500 CPU and Asus B250M-A Prime motherboard, to AMD Ryzen 5 2600x and a ASUS PRIME B450M-A, Socket-AM4. Now the question is, will my GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1060, 6GB - be supported by this motherboard? Will my RAM, Corsair 16GB DDR4-2400MhzVengeance LPX RAM be enough for the new CPU? And will my current power supply be enough Corsair VS550 550W?

A GTX1060 should be be a great match, the Corsair memory is 'enough' but 2400 speed will not let that R5-2600x stretch it's legs since Ryzen's Infinity Fabric loves faster memory. That can be a birthday upgrade to plan for :). 16GB should be adequate but that also depends heavily on your use case.

I'd be content with the VS550 but I'm sure some power supply folk will comment since they are very opinionated on such things.

Not knocking the Asus board as it certainly has it's strong points but I'd probably go for either MSI B450M Mortar or Asrock B450M Pro4 as they seem to have the strongest VRM's of mATX boards for Ryzen. The MSI is particularly compelling as it has a 2nd PCIe x 4 gen 2 NVME slot

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
not the best power supply out there but plenty enough for the system you plan on using.

should not be any problems with the gpu or ram either. as noted above, the 2600x likes fast ram but the 2400 won't cause any major issues. honestly not worth buying top end ram either since you already have some. what you'll spend vs the performance increase is not really worth it really.

Endre555

Reputable
Jul 4, 2016
I would advise at least 3000 MHz RAMs if you want to achieve the best preformance possible. GTX 1060 will work absolutely fine with your motherboard and CPU. The VS550 is not a great PSU, it has a lot of bad reviews and I wouldn't buy it. But if you already have it and it has been working fine, you could use it. I mean, if I had an extra 80-90 dollars I would buy a nicer one, but you'll be most likely fine with it.

Oct 20, 2018
Well I have the psu already. Upgrading the rams to 3200mhz will not be a problem for me. I just need the right motherboard pick, and wanted some opinions on my selected choice vs a better one for the system.