[SOLVED] Which Motherboard?

Jun 14, 2020
Hey everyone,

So I'm building a new pc with a 2060RTX Super or 5700XT - leaning towards the RTX since I have a G-SYNC compatible monitor.
Still haven't decided which one I'll use for my final build.

Regardless of this, I need your help with choosing a motherboard for a Ryzen 3600 CPU.

In my country the Ryzen CPU's come preinstalled with the motherboard for cheaper price, so I have the following options to decide from.

A. AMD RYZEN 5 3600 + MSI GAMING PLUS MAX B450 = 365$
B.
AMD RYZEN 5 3600 + MSI TOMAHAWK MAX B450 = 385$

Solution
CountMike is correct. Motherboards generally don't impact day-to-day performance (gaming/rendering). The only thing that might impact performance to a degree would be overclocking ability (number and quality of power phases of a motherboard). For the most part though, unless you want to go into overclocking competitions, you can get by with any mainstream B450/X570 boards. Any difference in mainstream mobo overclocking capacity would be negligible for the majority of computer builders out there. For the mobos you mentioned, CountMike is correct that they wouldn't make any difference performance-wise.

IMO, the main consideration in choosing a motherboard is the feature set (and aesthetics). For example:
  • Number of chassis...
Hey everyone,

So I'm building a new pc with a 2060RTX Super or 5700XT - leaning towards the RTX since I have a G-SYNC compatible monitor.
Still haven't decided which one I'll use for my final build.

Regardless of this, I need your help with choosing a motherboard for a Ryzen 3600 CPU.

In my country the Ryzen CPU's come preinstalled with the motherboard for cheaper price, so I have the following options to decide from.

A. AMD RYZEN 5 3600 + MSI GAMING PLUS MAX B450 = 365$
B.
AMD RYZEN 5 3600 + MSI TOMAHAWK MAX B450 = 385$
Wouldn't make any difference compatibility or performance wise, choose by what options suit you better.

Reactions: Vitpilen
Jun 15, 2020
CountMike is correct. Motherboards generally don't impact day-to-day performance (gaming/rendering). The only thing that might impact performance to a degree would be overclocking ability (number and quality of power phases of a motherboard). For the most part though, unless you want to go into overclocking competitions, you can get by with any mainstream B450/X570 boards. Any difference in mainstream mobo overclocking capacity would be negligible for the majority of computer builders out there. For the mobos you mentioned, CountMike is correct that they wouldn't make any difference performance-wise.

IMO, the main consideration in choosing a motherboard is the feature set (and aesthetics). For example:
  • Number of chassis fan headers
  • Number of PCIE slots
  • Number of SATAIII ports
  • BIOS flashback features
  • PCIE (gen3/gen4) M.2 support
  • Size (ATX, mATX, ITX)
  • (color scheme)
  • (RGB? haha)

Solution