Which new bulldozer will you most likley buy???

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

badtaylorx

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Well it seems like were getting pretty close to this damn chip coming out finally :eek: ......i just wanted to get a feel for which version people want to buy...

i myself am pretty sure that ill opt for the 4170 quad core...... as i dont really see myself needing 8 cores.......i only game and use for multimedia purposes and the 4200mhz stock............thats nice.......the only part that concerns me is the turbo is only 4300mhz......

anyway.....im only interested in hearing from those who are actually considering this purchase........im not looking to start a flame war........just which one you want and why........

thanx
bTx

I never said you opinion was wrong. Just that SMT and BD modules are nothing alike.

And for your mobo, yes a BIOS update would be all you need. Because its a AM3+ socket. The 990FX and 890FX chipset are the exact same chipset. What matters is the socket and the pin layout. If you had a 890FX chipset mobo that had the original AM3 socket, it would not work as the extra pins needed to run BD are not active.

But as well certain power features of BD may not work.

You made a good choice in mobos, but other people will not be as lucky.

I guess you will find out whenever BD actually comes out. Make sure to let us know. Just hope it does so you don't have to buy a new mobo.

From what i read, they did that by actually activating the necessary pins on the socket. Thats what allows the AM3+ compatability BUT there are downsides since it wont support certain power saving technologies andmight not read the thermal sensor properly since the pin layout is going to be somewhat different as will the VRM requirements.

I looked at your mobo on Gigabytes website and they have 2 versions. One has the standard white AM3 socket, the other is the black AM3+ socket.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for the support but there is a good chance if they prepared it, and I wouldn;t be suprised if they did since BD was supposed to be out in Q1 2011 originally.

As I said, best of luck and let us know. I just hope not every person with a AM3 mobo expects BD to work since some chipsets wont support it nor will all AM3 sockets.

vdr369

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010

:sol: as you said, I am planing to buy this chip, it looks very cool to me. but i will buy it after benchmarks release.:sol: :sol: :sol:

cscottm90

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I need one of those for when someone parks their car in my space. Can I get that for $250 ?

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

that sounded so good i had to look it up just because it was unbelievable. but its true! I'm thrilled.
I'll grab me one of these, ive got the dd3 1866 already laying on my desk. i cant decide on mobo so ill wait.
gonna grab the soon to be released radeon 7970, just saw its specs today. heres link.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-HD-7900-XDR2-Rambus-Memory,13408.html
and just need a case and power after that. ive got a couple 24"ers laying around and a dozen keyboards and mice.
hell i have so many mice my closet is nearly a petting zoo.

I'm still wondering if the 4xxx series is going to be the top performing gamechip or if four real cores is going to be the best option in which case its an 8xxx,
I hate to say it but benchmarks are going to be my guide on this one so its waiting, no issue as the rest of my build is on hold atm anyhow
Moto

If those specs are true, I just might have to get me a HD7970. Because that would be a major upgrade over my HD5870, unlike the HD6870.

448 more SPs, insane bandwidth memory and 1GHz core.

Lets just hope this doesn't turn out like Rambus RIMMs......

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

I'm running a 5770 so this would be at least 3 times faster than my card maybe as much as 5 times in the right game. i really need this kind of performance for my three 27 inch monitors. im tired of medium settings.

darkside_gamer7

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

7970 doesnt come out til q1 2012...when is that exactly?

no, nvidia puts their product out on time, they just put out unfinished, power hungry, furnaces like the gtx465, 470 and 480. Then they release their finished product, the gtx460.

Status
Not open for further replies.