[SOLVED] Which of these 2 old processors would be least bad for modern gaming?

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
The 4C/4T FX-4300 @ 3.8/4.0 GHZ or The 6C/6T Phenom II x6 1075T @ 3.0/3.5 GHZ?

If there's not much difference, which do I pick? The motherboard socket is an AM3+

Neither one. If it must be those 2, the 1075t.

However, if you're on a budget, try to find an old business class system with an i5 2400 or better, or an i7 of the same gen or higher. As an AMD fan, in that price bracket, those would be better options than those amd CPUs.

Mk56TClaire

Reputable
Jul 26, 2017
I agree with ohio_buckeye. But there is advantages and disadvantages.
Phenom IIs lacks newer instructions and some newer games won't even launch if you use it. On the other side, although worse for gaming, FX 4300 has newer instructions so it can launch some games that Phenom II can't.

I disagree with the clock speed assumptions. The FX can be overclocked to 4.6-4.7Ghz pretty easily (in a capable motherboard, with proper cooling, obviously) overcoming any IPC benefit to the Phenom II which will top out (assuming it's a black edition) at 3.7-3.8 Ghz if lucky. 2 more HW threads sounds pretty good but hard to say if it will actually help enough...probably depends way more on the game.

I have to think support for newer instructions would outweigh the threads over all. I mean, what good is the damn processor if you can't launch a game and that game just HAPPENS to be the one you want to play. And besides many modern games must depend on newer instructions for performance even if not to launch. I'd go for the FX processor.

Last edited:
IPC is terrible on the fx CPU. Even if you overcome that somehow, quads are still getting to be low end for gaming. You'd still be better to get something with an older i5 or i7.
Not nearly as terrible as they make it seem.

I'd rather go with a used Ryzen 1600 or 1700 or even a 2200/2400G and skip discrete GPU (at first) to save money while probably getting similar gaming performance to any processor combo's previously considered. These things are so cheap now especially with a used B350 motherboard. But at any rate, if at all possible stay out of the Intel eco-system with it's limited and costly upgrade paths. Get into AM4 and just keep on going piecemeal, with easy/cheap upgrades.

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
I guess I should have explained... I'm upgrading a friend's PC. He already has the AM3+ system with an even weaker Athlon II X2 250 in it now. (16GB RAM, GTX 970 (mine), FHD mon.)
He's not about to buy a whole new build right now, and these two CPUs are available to him and within budget. Sad, I know. But we game with what we have. Mostly single-player gaming anyway.

@ drea.drechsler
I don't think there ever was a BE Phenom II X6 1075T released.

To Drea, trust me to ryzen is a big jump. I used to have fx CPUs.

To the op, depending on what you will end up paying for the CPU, there are all kinds of systems out there cheap. Check this out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-Dell-...E7Q:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!62249!US!-1&LH_BIN=1

A lot of times these older towers have a Windows 7 key on them. With luck they may have been activated to Windows 10. But even then, last couple of systems I've tried still allowed the few update to Windows 10 from 7.

Something like that, swap in his gpu, ram, ssd/hdd and power supply. Plus on something like that, I'd guess that you can swap in an i7 2600 or i7 3770 later. I think I've seen those around the 70 dollar mark. If so, that should tide him over until he can save up.

I guess I should have explained... I'm upgrading a friend's PC. He already has the AM3+ system with an even weaker Athlon II X2 250 in it now. (16GB RAM, GTX 970 (mine), FHD mon.)
He's not about to buy a whole new build right now, and these two CPUs are available to him and within budget. Sad, I know. But we game with what we have. Mostly single-player gaming anyway.

@ drea.drechsler
I don't think there ever was a BE Phenom II X6 1075T released.
I usually use these to figure out what I'm working with when comparing 2 processors:
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/949/AMD_FX-Series_FX-4300_vs_AMD_Phenom_II_X6_1075T_(non-BE).html

From what I can tell it comes down to if you need more cores or more single thread performance. If it's single thread, fx. If it's threads, phenom.

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
I usually use these to figure out what I'm working with when comparing 2 processors:
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/949/AMD_FX-Series_FX-4300_vs_AMD_Phenom_II_X6_1075T_(non-BE).html

From what I can tell it comes down to if you need more cores or more single thread performance. If it's single thread, fx. If it's threads, phenom.
I guess that's what I really wanted to know. Which is best (least worse?) for games today; more cores or more MHZ? From what I've read, Vishera wasn't much of a step up from Phenoms.

I guess that's what I really wanted to know. Which is best (least worse?) for games today; more cores or more MHZ? From what I've read, Vishera wasn't much of a step up from Phenoms.
Vishera was not a step up except in more advanced process and instruction sets. Phenom II's had better IPC but you could overclock the beejesus out of FX processors to more than overcome. That was their only saving grace in the early days.

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
OK. Thanks to all of you for continuing the discussion. Learn something every time I come here. I guess he gets the "newer" quad core then.

Btw, from what I have read, SSE 4.1/4.2 is required for DRM protection. Right? It's not about the Phenom II isn't capable, just can't get past the copyright protection. Yes? No?

Last edited:

Blitz Blitz

Distinguished
May 18, 2015
The 4C/4T FX-4300 @ 3.8/4.0 GHZ or The 6C/6T Phenom II x6 1075T @ 3.0/3.5 GHZ?

If there's not much difference, which do I pick? The motherboard socket is an AM3+

How somebody say, neither one. Maybe fx-4300 will be good for light gaming/office works for a while, but you want a new system, when you can't run new games smoothly even on low resolution.

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
6 core . Will help because windows will be running background processes eating up performance for games
See? That was my original thinking too. Untill I was informed that the Phenom IIs are no longer supported in a lot of newer games. Ijust like the idea of having more cores, I guess. Even if they are slower cores.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
See? That was my original thinking too. Untill I was informed that the Phenom IIs are no longer supported in a lot of newer games. Ijust like the idea of having more cores, I guess. Even if they are slower cores.
A cpu is a cpu it’s not gonna be unsupported it isn’t reliant on programming like a gpu is with direct x. It may be outdated to the point where it’s slow but not unsupported. I’ve run windows 10 on pentium 4 socket 478 cpus which are very early 2000’s