[SOLVED] Which of these 3 CPU's for laptops is the best?

Yannick011

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
Hello,
First of all I was researching on the internet for a laptop and came across two CPU's: Intel Pentium Gold 5405U and Intel I3-8145U. I wanted to compare the two and this site says Intel Pentium 5405U. I assume it is the same as the Gold version since I cannot seem to find a normal Pentium 5405U processor.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-5405U-vs-Intel-Core-i3-8145U/m767922vsm616038
The Lenovo Ideapad s145 laptop with the Pentium Gold 5405U processor (+intel UHD 610, 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM) is €329 VS. the Lenovo Ideapad s145 I3-8145U (+intel UHD 620, 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM) is €399.
I think I will go for the I3 since the benchmark says it is a lot better compared to the Pentium tough I don't know if the Pentium in the benchmark is the same as the Pemtium in the laptop.
My other option is an Acer Aspire 3 with an AMD A9-9420 (+AMD Radeon R5, 256 GB SSD and 8GB RAM) for €399.

Laptop will be used for school work but it will need to last at least 5 years with not much of a decrease in performance.

Last edited:
Solution
Fortunately, Intel keeps a very good public record of all CPUs it has released in the past 15 or so years. Both the Pentium Gold 5405U and the i3-8145U have the same core and thread count, but the i3 has a feature called Turbo Boost, which makes it feel a lot snappier and faster overall.

Be aware that Intel has changed much of the feature sets for mobile CPUs from 7th to 8th gen, with each price point shifting one place up in the performance spectrum. A 7th gen i5 will be very similar to an 8th gen i3 in terms of features and thread count for example, although later generations tend to have higher boost clocks.

Another advice I can give you is to stay away from AMD A-series processors. They are technically 2016 tech, and they were...

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
Fortunately, Intel keeps a very good public record of all CPUs it has released in the past 15 or so years. Both the Pentium Gold 5405U and the i3-8145U have the same core and thread count, but the i3 has a feature called Turbo Boost, which makes it feel a lot snappier and faster overall.

Be aware that Intel has changed much of the feature sets for mobile CPUs from 7th to 8th gen, with each price point shifting one place up in the performance spectrum. A 7th gen i5 will be very similar to an 8th gen i3 in terms of features and thread count for example, although later generations tend to have higher boost clocks.

Another advice I can give you is to stay away from AMD A-series processors. They are technically 2016 tech, and they were pretty bad even back then. What you'll be looking for is Ryzen processors. A Ryzen 3 will have the same features as an 8th gen i3, but it'll be slightly slower.

Reactions: Yannick011
Solution