Question Which of these fan configs would you pick to improve 7800x3D cooling?

SydB12

Prominent
Feb 10, 2023
All fans are 120mm Thermalright TL-C12CW-S, same as the ones included in my PA 120SE cooler. Case is a 5000D Airflow.

OPTIONS:
I have 10 of those fans, but currently I'm only using 7 as my setup is Option A. The problem is the 7800x3D is getting a bit warm for my liking: while gaming stays around 75-80ºC but during heavy cpu tasks (decompressing files or Cinebench R20 all cores) is going up to 88-89ºC (no thermal throttling).

I know the 7800x3D can get hot, but I wonder if my current setup could be improved with Option B. This is, removing the front top fan (exhaust) to allow all the frontal intakes to reach the CPU.

Option C is probably a terrible idea, as opposite fans being so close to each other, could decrease their performance (basically what I think is happening with my current setup Option A, between the front top fan (exhaust) and the frontal top fan (intake) (what a wording mess)).

Option D could be another alternative adding fans from the side of the case as I already have them around, but I think then my PC will become a super dust magnet.

Thoughts? Any other option? Thanks!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
None of them. The moment a roof fan is positioned in front of a tower air cooler, when the goal is to maximize cpu cooling, you've failed. Some of the air coming in from the front/side is going to get pulled out before it gets to the front fan of the cooler.
Extra fans up top are to the benefit of the gpu cooler, which most of them dump the gpu's waste heat inside the PC. The idea is to remove the heat from the largest heating device as fast as possible, at the cost of a little higher cpu temperatures.

The extra Z-height caused by the Vcache makes this chip harder to cool compared to other Ryzen 7000s; moving the heat from the die through the IHS is harder... and all these case fans doesn't fix an issue that's under the hood.

SydB12

Prominent
Feb 10, 2023
None of them. The moment a roof fan is positioned in front of a tower air cooler, when the goal is to maximize cpu cooling, you've failed. Some of the air coming in from the front/side is going to get pulled out before it gets to the front fan of the cooler.
Extra fans up top are to the benefit of the gpu cooler, which most of them dump the gpu's waste heat inside the PC. The idea is to remove the heat from the largest heating device as fast as possible, at the cost of a little higher cpu temperatures.

The extra Z-height caused by the Vcache makes this chip harder to cool compared to other Ryzen 7000s; moving the heat from the die through the IHS is harder... and all these case fans doesn't fix an issue that's under the hood.
Ok ty, what would you suggest then to improve CPU thermals? An AIO?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok ty, what would you suggest then to improve CPU thermals? An AIO?
Curve optimizer. I'm not familiar with it myself, but I've seen recommendations in the range of -15 to -30.
If you swap to an AIO, the degree of thermal resistance presented by the thick IHS and below hasn't changed, so it isn't much better off than the air cooler. Neither can do anything until the heat energy reaches the IHS.

"While the heat output is lower than on the 7950X3D, the heat is concentrated in a smaller area, due to the single CCD design, which makes the 7800X3D a bit more difficult to cool. Switching from the Noctua NH-U14S to our Arc Liquid Freezer II AIO made only minimal difference, which means the problem is with the thick IHS, which limits the heat transfer, so no matter what cooling you put on top of the CPU, your temps will always be high."
Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d/29.html

While the Vcache was omitted above, it should also be included.
The Liquid Freezer 3 does exist, but it has shown to be a negligible improvement over the LF 2.

SydB12

Prominent
Feb 10, 2023
Curve optimizer. I'm not familiar with it myself, but I've seen recommendations in the range of -15 to -30.
If you swap to an AIO, the degree of thermal resistance presented by the thick IHS and below hasn't changed, so it isn't much better off than the air cooler. Neither can do anything until the heat energy reaches the IHS.

"While the heat output is lower than on the 7950X3D, the heat is concentrated in a smaller area, due to the single CCD design, which makes the 7800X3D a bit more difficult to cool. Switching from the Noctua NH-U14S to our Arc Liquid Freezer II AIO made only minimal difference, which means the problem is with the thick IHS, which limits the heat transfer, so no matter what cooling you put on top of the CPU, your temps will always be high."
Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d/29.html

While the Vcache was omitted above, it should also be included.
The Liquid Freezer 3 does exist, but it has shown to be a negligible improvement over the LF 2.
Then I'll try first the curve optimizer. HOWEVER, do you think I could encounter any advantage with Option B (removing the top front fan)?

Also, all fans are connected to the same fan hud/splitter (the one included in the 5000D), which means all are moving at the same speeds. Do you think this is a mistake and I should tweak the rpm independently (example: 3 frontal at same speed, 2 top at slightly higher speed, and rear one at even higher rpms)? I am asking all of this because I still believe that by improving temps inside the case, I could lower a bit the CPU temps.