[SOLVED] Which of these motherboard should I get (z490 & z590)?

stebobibo

Commendable
May 6, 2021
Looking for a motherboard for my i5-10600KF CPU. First time buying a motherboard on my own. Going to be using the computer mostly for gaming and other light tasks like internet, word, etc. Won't be playing any FPS games. The most demanding will probably be Path of Exile, Baldur's Gate 3, Diablo 4, Civilization 6, Humankind.

These are the boards I've been looking at and the cheapest price I've found them at.
Budget Boards:
MSI Z490-A PRO....... $170
GIGABYTE Z490 Gaming X......$200

Midrange Boards:
MSI MAG Z490 Tomahawk Gaming....$250
GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS ELITE.......$250

I don't know if it's worth getting a midrange board over the budget options. Would they add anything with how I plan on using the computer? Also, how would you rank the boards in each class (A-pro vs gaming x, and tomahawk vs aorus elite)?

I've also noticed Z590 versions of some of these boards, like the MSI Z590-A Pro and the GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS Elite for only $10 more than the Z490 versions. But I heard that the 590s don't add much unless you have 11th gen. Is that true? Or is it still an upgrade and I should choose the 590 since its only $10 more?

Lastly, if you have another board you'd recommend that I haven't mentioned & at similar price point, please let me know.
Thanks a lot!

Solution
That depends if top m2 slot is pcie 3 or 4. 10th gen proc support only pcie3, so that's why top slot requires 11th gen as they support pcie 4. 4xx series motherboards released for 10th gen so i doubt there would be many boards limited to only pcie 4 if any. If there is a limitation then the top slot will be driven by the chipset, so still usable. 5xx series don't have that option at all, top slot is dedicated to only cpu lanes.

stebobibo

Commendable
May 6, 2021

boju

Titan
Ambassador
That depends if top m2 slot is pcie 3 or 4. 10th gen proc support only pcie3, so that's why top slot requires 11th gen as they support pcie 4. 4xx series motherboards released for 10th gen so i doubt there would be many boards limited to only pcie 4 if any. If there is a limitation then the top slot will be driven by the chipset, so still usable. 5xx series don't have that option at all, top slot is dedicated to only cpu lanes.

Solution