Question Which of these two laptops should I buy ?

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Hello everyone,

I'm wondering which of these two Lenovo laptops would be the best choice.. I understand that both of them is more than enough for my needs, but I thought it would be lovely if I could pick the best one.

Let's just call this one "laptop A", as I don't remember its actual name :
AMD Ryzen 3 4300U
8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon Graphics (I assume integrated)
512 GB SSD
14 inch display, full HD

And the "laptop B"
Intel Core i7-8550U
8GB RAM
Intel UHD Graphics
480 GB SSD
14 inch display, full HD
Metal build

I think the major difference between the two really is just the CPU. Both has the same battery size (or so I told), same display, same RAM, same size, other than slight change in colour and body material.

Thanks a lot!

TLDR : two laptops, Ryzen 4300U vs i7-8550U, which one's better?

Lutfij

Titan
I understand that both of them is more than enough for my needs
What would those needs be?

which one's better?
What will you be using the laptop for? Mentioning the app's without including etc in the sentence would help us two fold in steering you to a worthwhile purchase. To also add, can you include the links to the laptops if at all possible. SKU's also help if you're going off of model numbers alone and no URL's. Apart from the specs you've listed, are you interested in upgrading ram or storage down the road?

Last thing to add, the Ryzen equipped laptop from Lenovo is an APU, so yes, integrated GPU but AMD dubs them as APU's. The Ryzen platform should be able to pair well with DDR4-3200MHz rams, while the Intel will only do DDR4-2400MHz at best. The Ryzen will run hotter though while the Intel processor can be undervolted using ThrottleStop.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
I understand that both of them is more than enough for my needs
What would those needs be?

which one's better?
What will you be using the laptop for? Mentioning the app's without including etc in the sentence would help us two fold in steering you to a worthwhile purchase. To also add, can you include the links to the laptops if at all possible. SKU's also help if you're going off of model numbers alone and no URL's. Apart from the specs you've listed, are you interested in upgrading ram or storage down the road?

Last thing to add, the Ryzen equipped laptop from Lenovo is an APU, so yes, integrated GPU but AMD dubs them as APU's. The Ryzen platform should be able to pair well with DDR4-3200MHz rams, while the Intel will only do DDR4-2400MHz at best. The Ryzen will run hotter though while the Intel processor can be undervolted using ThrottleStop.

Forgive me for the late reply, I would like to add that I'm not purchasing the laptop myself, it's one of those 'employee benefits' offered by the place I'm working at, each employee is offered a work laptop, and I was given the choice of those two. HR, unfortunately, couldn't tell me more information for the laptops hence the scant details of the specs (the fact they know the CPU is already helpful enough honestly). Being tehcnically owned by the office I won't upgrade or change any parts of the laptop anytime soon, if ever.

The programs I'm going to use is the usual office applications (like Word, Powerpoint, Excel), teleconference programs and video calls (Zoom and MS Team), perhaps a browser (we exclusively use Edge), and a specialized program for internal use.

Also, I'm hoping that the battery would last at least more than two hours of browsing, I hope that isn't too much to ask.

Circa 10 to 15 percent CPU performance advantage in favor of the AMD.

3 year old tech versus 6 on the Intel.

Hard to say if you'd ever notice the difference on standard Office/productivity apps.

Issues like keyboard feel and screen quality may be significant, but I assume you cannot sample each before choosing.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Circa 10 to 15 percent CPU performance advantage in favor of the AMD.

3 year old tech versus 6 on the Intel.

Hard to say if you'd ever notice the difference on standard Office/productivity apps.

Issues like keyboard feel and screen quality may be significant, but I assume you cannot sample each before choosing.

Speaking of that, I had the chance to try both, and something caught my eyes. The AMD laptop's screen looks so much better compared to the Intel's, the colour is different. The former is an IPS, while the latter is a TN (I assume, as the Intel's viewing angle was quite bad in comparison to the AMD, the colour is very bluish too). So, I ended up picking the AMD one.