Oct 15, 2020
Hi all, I need advice on which of these to purchase. So you understand the weight of the games- usually Total War type stuff. Graphics are not insane or anything. I cannot build my own due to time constraints so need to pick one. I tried to do research as much as I understood and these all seem comparable. If you can recommend cheaper option, that would be great as well. These are like $1200-1400.

PowerSpec G706 Gaming Desktop Computer. OR
PowerSpec G358 Gaming Computer. OR
ASUS ROG Strix GL10DH Gaming Computer

Solution
For instance:
"SSD: PCIe M.2, 1 TB "

There is a reasonably large performance difference between an Intel 660p, and a Samsung 970 EVO Plus.
Both of which would count as "SSD: PCIe M.2, 1 TB "

Or even worse, any one of a multitude of 3rd rate devices.

Same with power supplies.
600w =/= 600w. There are BIG differences. Some of which I wouldn't use to power a desk lamp.
Oct 15, 2020
Sure, here. I made a page of comparisons with all specs.
Case & Motherboard
MotherboardASRock X570 Pro 4ASRock Z490 Phantom Gaming 4/AXN/A
Computer CaseN/APowerSpec/Lian Li ATX 205N/A
Case OrientationVerticalVerticalVertical
Motherboard ChipsetAMD X570Intel Z490N/A
Processor
CPU SummaryAMD Ryzen 7 3700X (3.6GHz)Intel Core i7 10700 (2.9GHz)AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (3.6GHz)
CPU CoreEight-CoreEight-CoreEight-Core
CPU TypeRyzen 7Core i7Ryzen 7
CPU Speed3700X (3.6GHz)10700 (2.9GHz)3700X (3.6GHz)
Turbo Boost SpeedUp to 4.4GHzUp to 4.8GHzUp to 4.4GHz
Level 2 Cache4MBN/A4MB
Level 3 Cache32MBN/A32MB
Smart CacheN/A16MBN/A
CPU BrandAMDIntelAMD
Front Side BusN/A8 GT/sN/A
CPU SocketAM4FCLGA1200AM4
CPUs Installed111
CPUs Supported111
CPU Main FeaturesN/AIntel 64
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology
Intel VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT)
Intel Identity Protection Technology
Intel Secure Key
Intel Stable Image Platform Program (SIPP)
Intel Hyper-Threading Technology
Intel AES New Instructions
Intel Software Guard Extensions
Intel Optane Memory Supported
Intel Boot Guard
Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
Intel vPro Platform Eligibility
Intel Execute Disable Bit
Intel Idle States
Intel Thermal Monitoring Technologies
Intel OS Guard
Intel Trusted Execution Technology
N/A

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020
Video
Display
Solid State Drive
Memory
Total Memory16GB32GB16GB
Memory SpeedDDR4-3200DDR4-3200DDR4-2666
Memory Configuration2 x 8GBN/A2 x 8GB
Memory Slots (Total)442
Memory Slots (Available)2N/A0
Form Factor288-pin DIMM288-pin DIMM288-pin DIMM
Maximum Memory Supported64GB64GBN/A
SSD InterfacePCIe M.2PCIe NVMe M.2PCIe NVMe M.2
SSD Capacity1TB1TB512GB
WebcamNoNoNo
GPU TypeNVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SuperAMD Radeon RX 5700 XT; AMD Radeon RX 5700 XTNVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super
Video Memory8GB GDDR68GB GDDR68GB
VR ReadyYesYesYes
GPU InterfacePCIe x16PCIe 4.0 x16PCIe x16

Oct 15, 2020
Case & Motherboard
MotherboardASRock X570 Pro 4ASRock Z490 Phantom Gaming 4/AXN/A
Computer CaseN/APowerSpec/Lian Li ATX 205N/A
Case OrientationVerticalVerticalVertical
Motherboard ChipsetAMD X570Intel Z490N/A

Oct 15, 2020
In your second post, partially.

For instance:
PCIe NVMe M.2

... covers a WIDE range of devices.

And no actual info on the other things. Actual Make/model. It does make a difference.
I see. Ok Let me try again.

Option 1:
Computer: PowerSpec G706 Gaming Desktop Computer
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Pro 4
Motherboard Chip Set: AMD X570
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (3.6GHz) , 8 core, Ryzen 7, 3700X (3.6GHz)
Memory: DDR4-3200, 16GB
SSD: PCIe M.2, 1 TB
GPU Type: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super , 8GB GDDR6

Doesn't say anything about cooling. Case says N/A.

how is that?

USAFRet

Titan
For instance:
"SSD: PCIe M.2, 1 TB "

There is a reasonably large performance difference between an Intel 660p, and a Samsung 970 EVO Plus.
Both of which would count as "SSD: PCIe M.2, 1 TB "

Or even worse, any one of a multitude of 3rd rate devices.

Same with power supplies.
600w =/= 600w. There are BIG differences. Some of which I wouldn't use to power a desk lamp.

Solution

logainofhades

Titan
Power Spec is Microcenter's in house brand. It looks like it is using a CM AIO.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/608933/powerspec-g706-gaming-desktop-computer

This one is using an air tower cooler.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/624584/powerspec-g358-gaming-computer

Both are most likely using their Power Spec PSU's. Which are subpar to ok, depending on the model. The SSD is most likely Inland professional, which is also an in house brand. They are ok enough drives, for a gaming rig.

Personally, I would choose the G706, for the faster GPU. Also Microcenter's customer support would be far better than any from Asus.

As far as real-world performance is concerned for a gaming system, that's not going to make much of a difference, at least for today's games and applications. And if none of them specify the model of drive, I doubt any of them include a higher-end model like a 970 Evo, as that's something they would probably want to advertise.

As far as which of those I would go with, assuming they are all relatively close to the same price, I would probably take the first option with the Ryzen 3700X and 2070 SUPER, though all of those systems will probably perform relatively close to one another.

I would probably avoid the third option though, since they seem to be cheaping out in a few areas. The motherboard and its chipset are not listed, so it's anyone's guess what they put in there. The RAM is also relatively slow at DDR4-2666, which can hurt CPU performance a bit. And there's half as much SSD storage compared to the other models. 512GB is arguably a bit small for a gaming system in this performance range, especially if there's no traditional hard-drive to provide additional storage.

USAFRet

Titan
As far as real-world performance is concerned for a gaming system, that's not going to make much of a difference, at least for today's games and applications. And if none of them specify the model of drive, I doubt any of them include a higher-end model like a 970 Evo, as that's something they would probably want to advertise.

As far as which of those I would go with, assuming they are all relatively close to the same price, I would probably take the first option with the Ryzen 3700X and 2070 SUPER, though all of those systems will probably perform relatively close to one another.

I would probably avoid the third option though, since they seem to be cheaping out in a few areas. The motherboard and its chipset are not listed, so it's anyone's guess what they put in there. The RAM is also relatively slow at DDR4-2666, which can hurt CPU performance a bit. And there's half as much SSD storage compared to the other models. 512GB is arguably a bit small for a gaming system in this performance range, especially if there's no traditional hard-drive to provide additional storage.
Right.
So...

Leaving off the Asus with the 1/2 drive size and slower RAM.
And leaving off the G358 with the substandard Z490 motherboard.

...that leaves but one out of the 3, the G706.

Oct 15, 2020

Thanks!

Oct 15, 2020
Right.
I'd probably choose one of the PowerSpecs.

Will any of the 3 "work"?
Sure. As in....not go up in a mushroom cloud.
Which is "best"? Unknown.
Its funny- I was advised by multiple people to stay away from Alienware but in all the magazines and articles I found, it seems to be most recommended!

TRENDING THREADS