Question which one is better for a gaming system?

Jun 9, 2019
hey guys, i have one question and i need your help, i want to upgrade my pc, so i have 2 options:
1: my system cpu is Core i7 6700k and my motherboard is Z170A Gaming M7, sell those and buy Core i9 9900k and B360 Gaming Pro Carbon
or
2: I have an GTX 1070 Gaming X, sell it then buy RTX 2070 Gaming Z

please answer me and give me an option for my gaming system thank you.

Either of those options COULD be beneficial, depending on WHAT TYPE of gaming you tend to do, what kind of settings you prefer to game at and what resolution and number of monitors you use.

What is the model of your current CPU cooler and what does your case cooling configuration consist of?

Also, don't create duplicate threads for the same topic. Our forum rules and guidelines specifically prohibit doing that.

Reactions: Night Devil
Jun 9, 2019
Either of those options COULD be beneficial, depending on WHAT TYPE of gaming you tend to do, what kind of settings you prefer to game at and what resolution and number of monitors you use.

What is the model of your current CPU cooler and what does your case cooling configuration consist of?

Also, don't create duplicate threads for the same topic. Our forum rules and guidelines specifically prohibit doing that.

my cooling system is Deepcool Captain 360 water cooling installed in deepcool genome case, and i want play the games at the ultra settings with 1920*1080 resolution,and only play with one monitor 60Hz screen.

thanks again for your help...

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
I personally dont see why your existing system with a 6700k and a gtx 1070 is not capable to deliver 1080p gaming@60Hz in the first place.

I am gaming in 1440p with more than 100 fps on a 144 Hz display using an overclocked 4690k and a gtx 1070.

If your goal is 1080p I would not upgrade at all now.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I game on a 1080p/60Hz monitor (running dual) with a i7-3770k and gtx970 and there's nothing I play that doesn't land me over 60fps, even the use of highly modded, enb skyrim or Metal Gear 5 at a 4k DSR.

Upgrading isn't going to change that. On a 60Hz monitor, you get 60fps. That's it. Doesn't matter if the cpu/gpu can output 150fps or 300fps, you'll get the same details, same resolution, same 60fps output.

Doesn't matter if you drive a mini-van, Honda civic, Ferrari or formula 1 race car when the speed limit is 55mph. All those cars will sit side by side on the highway, at 55mph. Anything after that, top speeds, acceleration, whatever, is absolutely wasted potential.

You could slap a RTX2080ti on that cpu, and get exactly the same results as you get now. The only way to justify the change would be a reason, like needing ultra settings at 1440p/144Hz or 4k/120Hz etc where gpu power is necessary to get the fps on-screen that the cpu can deliver.

Unless you aren't getting 60fps, there's no reason to upgrade/side-grade. If you aren't, then figure out why not. If changing graphics settings changes fps, the gpu is the issue holding you back. If changing details doesn't really change fps, then it's the cpu capping out. Cpu sets fps limit. Gpu has to live up to it.

Either way, you'll answer your own question. You'll either benefit from gpu upgrade or benefit from cpu upgrade, whatever is the reason for lack of fps.

Last edited:
Yeah, that was why I asked those questions in the first place. You already have hardware that should be MORE than capable of Ultra everything 60fps gaming at 1080p for the most part. Certainly your graphics card is more than capable of that.

If you plan to stay at 1080p for the foreseeable future then I'd recommend if you are going to upgrade something, upgrade the CPU, but don't go with a 9900k. Those four hyperthreads are going to be gimped by all the BIOS and Windows patches directed at the slew of vulnerabilities they've found in the hyperthreading process not to mention that the 8 actual cores of the 9700k compared to only four actual cores on the 6700k is going to offer a terrific increase in performance in both overall and single core performance.

For games that are very CPU intensive in general or in certain areas of the game, this could definitely be helpful going forward since hardware demands are only going to increase, they are certainly not going to go backwards. In reality, what you have is probably capable enough but if you feel like you need to upgrade, then for now at least, in light of your other hardware and expectations, the CPU makes a lot more sense than the graphics card.

I don't know of ANY current games that you shouldn't be able to run at 60FPS with Ultra settings at 1080p with that graphics card. If you can't then there is a problem with drivers, other software or the CPU is holding you back, which again, is probably doubtful too.

Reactions: Night Devil