Question Which one of these solder points is Positive and which is Negative?

reaper89971

Prominent
Jun 2, 2023
On this power supply the AC input isn't clearly marked. Only 1 side says ACN so i suspect that is neutral but i am not sure. I just bought a Fluke 115 multimeter and am still learning how to use it. But i have on at my disposal. How do i check solder points for positive and negative on an AC input. I am going to solder in my own plug real simply. Just want to make sure that i go the solder points right. This is a LOP-500-27 and it has a 2 pin AC input.
View: https://imgur.com/a/nZ509Lb

You are delving into potentially deadly (as in 6 ft under) territory.

You obviously have no electrical knowledge whatsoever.

AC has no polarity. The operative word in AC is "Alternating" meaning that positive and negative alternate either 50 or 60 times per second. ACN does not necessarily denote "Neutral". You have to consult the schematics for the circuit to positively identify the neutral connection (assuming one was provided)

You seem quite determined to earn that Darwin Award.

Reactions: reaper89971

reaper89971

Prominent
Jun 2, 2023

AC has no polarity. The operative word in AC is "Alternating" meaning that positive and negative alternate either 50 or 60 times per second. ACN does not necessarily denote "Neutral". You have to consult the schematics for the circuit to positively identify the neutral connection (assuming one was provided)

If you look at the data sheet it doesn't tell you that much in detail. Here is the pdf
https://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=LOP-500

It has a block diagram of the board showing a 3 pin connector while on mine it has a 2 pin connector. So i am not sure which is which.

reaper89971

Prominent
Jun 2, 2023

I am not an idiot and i know that AC does not have polarity but usually its marked like on a wall outlet. It is also usually marked on power supplies as well. I have taken apart a bunch of power supplies and usually its marked.

Im deep into a project here just looking for simple answers. And your right im not an electrician or electrical engineer or anything like that.

Gururu

Upstanding
Jan 4, 2024
It’s a little confusing because the diagram appears to show AC L on the FS1 side and ACN on the FS2 side but on your board ACN is written near the FS1 side.

reaper89971

Prominent
Jun 2, 2023
It’s a little confusing because the diagram appears to show AC L on the FS1 side and ACN on the FS2 side but on your board ACN is written near the FS1 side.
Your right its a bit confusing. There must be another updated data sheet or something. I will search around for the 2 pin version. There must be revisions of the board.