[SOLVED] Which one should I buy?

fer010122

Prominent
Sep 17, 2019
Hi guys, I can't decide which psu is better for my build.

Ryzen 5 3600X
Galax RTX 2070 Super
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
HyperX Fury DDR4 8GB 3200MHz (2×8)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
HD Seagata Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM
SSD Crucial MX500 250GB M.2
Riotoro CR500

Corsair CX750 80Plus Bronze (grey label)

Corsair CX550M or a CX650M 80 Plus bronze semi modular. Which of these 2?

(I'd like an oppinion on the build two :)

Solution
A 2070 still only really requires 550w total system power, as did it's predecessor the 1070. Such requirements are also always stated conservatively.

It really depends what country you're in and what deals you can access as far as what to choose. Here in the states the "Black Friday" deals are already trickling in, because due to Thanksgiving coming late this year, the window of holiday shopping between TG and Xmas is much shorter.

When you don't even say what prices you're seeing the ones you listed at, it makes it pretty much impossible to advise.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
any of those options are fine.
I would go for the higher wattage if you can handle the spew of cables that come out of the PSU.

Otherwise the 650w semi modular one.

Further more though, if you have a budget (in your own currency) and country, I can see if there's a better option for you.

A 2070 still only really requires 550w total system power, as did it's predecessor the 1070. Such requirements are also always stated conservatively.

It really depends what country you're in and what deals you can access as far as what to choose. Here in the states the "Black Friday" deals are already trickling in, because due to Thanksgiving coming late this year, the window of holiday shopping between TG and Xmas is much shorter.

When you don't even say what prices you're seeing the ones you listed at, it makes it pretty much impossible to advise.

Solution

fer010122

Prominent
Sep 17, 2019

The 750W one was more expensive. After all I chose the Riotoro Onyx 750W

The 750W one was more expensive. After all I chose the Riotoro Onyx 750W
That's not one I've read on much, until now. It's said to be made with a design goal of quality construction for casual gaming. AnandTech seems to feel they've succeeded on that goal, but warns it's not for those whom regularly engage in things like mining. Even the 3 yr warranty is an indication why it targets casual vs regular long session gaming.

Here's an excerpt from their conclusion on the review, detailing the key points.

"Riotoro made good components choices as well, especially with the all-Japanese capacitors, which is a very rare sight into products that are designed to mainly compete in terms of pricing. Our only concern lies with the sleeve bearing Yate-Loon fan, which is the weakest link of the whole unit - anecdotally these fan models tend to fail after some years. However the fan should easily outlive the unit’s three-year warranty and beyond, but we would still rather find better quality fans into these units.
The overall performance of the Onyx PSUs is very good. Both units displayed high-efficiency readings at light and heavy loads, as well as proper filtering and regulation on all of their voltage lines. They also maintain low noise levels when they are operating in good environmental conditions or heavily loaded for prolonged periods of time. However, due to the high internal temperatures that occur with the units heavily loaded when operating under harsh environmental conditions, we would not recommend using the Onyx for systems that maintain heavy loads for prolonged periods of time with perhaps limited cooling (e.g. cryptocurrency miners), as the stress will certainly have a serious impact on the longevity of the units."

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/11188/the-riotoro-onyx-650w-750w-power-supply-review/5

My takeaway is it's not on par with the level of the build, especially the 2070 Super.

fer010122

Prominent
Sep 17, 2019
That's not one I've read on much, until now. It's said to be made with a design goal of quality construction for casual gaming. AnandTech seems to feel they've succeeded on that goal, but warns it's not for those whom regularly engage in things like mining. Even the 3 yr warranty is an indication why it targets casual vs regular long session gaming.

Here's an excerpt from their conclusion on the review, detailing the key points.

"Riotoro made good components choices as well, especially with the all-Japanese capacitors, which is a very rare sight into products that are designed to mainly compete in terms of pricing. Our only concern lies with the sleeve bearing Yate-Loon fan, which is the weakest link of the whole unit - anecdotally these fan models tend to fail after some years. However the fan should easily outlive the unit’s three-year warranty and beyond, but we would still rather find better quality fans into these units.
The overall performance of the Onyx PSUs is very good. Both units displayed high-efficiency readings at light and heavy loads, as well as proper filtering and regulation on all of their voltage lines. They also maintain low noise levels when they are operating in good environmental conditions or heavily loaded for prolonged periods of time. However, due to the high internal temperatures that occur with the units heavily loaded when operating under harsh environmental conditions, we would not recommend using the Onyx for systems that maintain heavy loads for prolonged periods of time with perhaps limited cooling (e.g. cryptocurrency miners), as the stress will certainly have a serious impact on the longevity of the units."

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/11188/the-riotoro-onyx-650w-750w-power-supply-review/5

My takeaway is it's not on par with the level of the build, especially the 2070 Super.
And the riotoro enigma 850W

And the riotoro enigma 850W 80Plus Gold, is it good?

And the riotoro enigma 850W

And the riotoro enigma 850W 80Plus Gold, is it good?
From what I've read, those Enigma 80Plus Gold series units are actually rebranded Seasonic Focus Gold PSUs, so yes, they would be very good. No need to go up in both quality AND wattage though. An 850 Gold is way more power than you'll need for that spec, and costs $40 more than their 650W 80Plus Gold.

You'll have ample power with this one: http://tech-legend.com/reviews/riotoro-enigma-g2-650w-gold/
It also comes with a 120mm Fluid Dynamic Bearing Fan, and has a 10 year warranty. This one you won't have to worry about anything failing, including the fan.