Question Which OS Beats the Rest?

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Personally, I really liked Windows XP, Windows 7 and 10 and 11. My first operating systems were Windows 98 SE, Windows 2000 and RedHat Linux 7.3 on a Celeron Tualatin @ 1.3 GHz (overclockable to 1.5 GHz), GeForce2 MX 400 w/ 64 MB memory, 256 MB RAM and a 40 GB HDD (my first PC from 2001).

I would be glad to sway the mood a bit with a more profoundly communicable question and readily anticipate unraveling the predilections of you and you and you!

Give it a shot! (y)

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
If you want me to put on my rose tinted glasses, I have a fondness for Windows XP.

Otherwise it really depends on what you want out of an OS. You could make the argument Windows 3.1 is the best, but it'd only apply to you.
What was your favorite theme?

Windows Classic
Default Luna
Silver Luna
Olive Green Luna
Royale
Royale Noir
Zune Theme
Embedded Theme

I think that, personally, I'd go for 'Default Luna.' To be honest it looked more modern and beautiful than Windows 11 today, just in a different way. An aesthetic manner can be viewed from innumerable standpoints, and if it once has been good, we - software connoisseurs can revel in it forever.

What was your favorite theme?

Windows Classic
Default Luna
Silver Luna
Olive Green Luna
Royale
Royale Noir
Zune Theme
Embedded Theme

I think that, personally, I'd go for 'Default Luna.' To be honest it looked more modern and beautiful than Windows 11 today, just in a different way. An aesthetic manner can be viewed from innumerable standpoints, and if it once has been good, we - software connoisseurs can revel in it forever.
I stuck with Luna for a while, then went for Royale Noir before I found something that let you install custom themes.

There was something similar for Vista and applied a flat glass theme on it

Reactions: jnjnilson6

USAFRet

Titan
Whichever one gets out of my way the most.
Which, if done right, is all of them.

The ones I liked the least were Vista and Me. Simply because they got in my way more than the others.

I use applications, not the OS.

(and your list neglects Linux/Apple/Android...;) )

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I also liked XP a lot. I think around that time was when I was truly becoming dangerous (to myself) in regard to not keeping it as the out of box option, turning things off, eliminating bloat, things such as that. I really continue to like 7 which is handy since pretty much everything since can directly trace back to that OS on base levels. I am very familiar with 10 and still use it on some work machines. I personally like 11, but don't know nearly as much about it yet as in relation to 10 and 7.

If I were to pick a favorite, I think 10 would be my overall choice.

I wonder what particular properties you look for when asking what OS beats the rest?

Ok, I'll give my answer. It is a Linux top distro, namely Debian. My reasons:
  • Rock stable.
  • Work with most elderly computers, including x86 (32bit hardware).
  • Fundamental for many other Linux distros that are based on Debian.
  • Stable version are supported for long time.

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Is this pole purely for subjective fun? Or is it based on something objective, like stability, performance, or all Windows aspects?
I should say that it is for fun.

To be honest, the way new software is written, for money and without passion or stability across 99% of companies (without the irrevocable zest which comes after years of professional work), Windows 2000, for its time, would surpass both Win10 and 11 in stability, despite we all know where NT came from.
It is not seriousness, we have this already in large quantities everywhere else; the point of the thread was for a halcyon environment, where one may recline back and have some fun with unimportant things in swift relaxation from the busy everyday. I don't like very serious things or very serious arguments, and from the philosophic standpoint there is no clear definition to seriousness except for the tapering acerbity of perception and the languidness in the small hours. Every pertinent point of view is valuable and true as much as we want to find truth in it.

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
And in my WIn 10 use, since Day 1 of the original Tech Preview....7 years ago....I've had maybe 1 or 2 windows crashes, across all my systems.

Not sure how you can get much more stable than that.
On that note, I remember when I was young and I played Xpand Rally on the Win2000 machine with 256 MB RAM, after about an hour or more of playtime, the computer simply restarted itself, most probably due to memory leakage which would become too big and detrimental as the clock ticked by.
However, there are certain problems with Windows 10 under the hood, which can be brought to light in way of the necessities in certain movements within the sphere of programming.

I am glad you've such a good opinion of Windows 10; I can say that for most users like myself who do not go much under the hood and pass only daily activities at the computer without venturing beneath the brightly colored home screen, everything should seem relatively stable and remorselessly fine. But, as I've been getting information through communication, if you go below that surface there are many things not so bright and not so benevolent to the eye.

Thanks for writing up!

USAFRet

Titan
On that note, I remember when I was young and I played Xpand Rally on the Win2000 machine with 256 MB RAM, after about an hour or more of playtime, the computer simply restarted itself, most probably due to memory leakage which would become too big and detrimental as the clock ticked by.
However, there are certain problems with Windows 10 under the hood, which can be brought to light in way of the necessities in certain movements within the sphere of programming.

I am glad you've such a good opinion of Windows 10; I can say that for most users like myself who do not go much under the hood and pass only daily activities at the computer without venturing beneath the brightly colored home screen, everything should seem relatively stable and remorselessly fine. But, as I've been getting information through communication, if you go below that surface there are many things not so bright and not so benevolent to the eye.

Thanks for writing up!
I have been "under the hood" with Win 10. And I am a programmer.
All sorts of configs, both on the hardware PC and in VMs.

As well as being a Mod here and seeing thousands of "problems".

The VAST majority of stability issues we see here are due to users doing things they should not.

As in:
"Who told you to delete THAT?"
'I saw it on a utube video. They said I'd get moar FPS'

'Nuff said.

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
I have been "under the hood" with Win 10. And I am a programmer.
All sorts of configs, both on the hardware PC and in VMs.

As well as being a Mod here and seeing thousands of "problems".

The VAST majority of stability issues we see here are due to users doing things they should not.

As in:
"Who told you to delete THAT?"
'I saw it on a utube video. They said I'd get moar FPS'

'Nuff said.
Chatting about the exuberance that suffuses computer geeks' souls in the middle of the night would be a worthwhile venture, yet I'm currently writing about hardware, a begone passion of mine, only to pass the time in an atmosphere I prefer and with people who are 'decent characters.' I used to be deep within hardware from 2010 onward, but somewhere along the way, about 2016 I started getting involved in the pale pages of a different sphere and my touch with hardware became lukewarm and then thinned out and away. One of the pleasantest places and people to talk with would be the hardware geeks and so a good pastime may be formed on the forums, chatting away the meddling hours of the night, bearing forth sunshine in the day on the sunny side of things. So yeah, I've come back, as you can see from my long unused profile; that's how I've gotten around really... My profile is older than yours and it's obvious without a second 'bat of the eyelid' that you've been immersed deeply and professionally within the sphere, harboring an assortment of erudition on a variety of different topics which I have not engaged in. I suppose everybody finds their metier, but that shouldn't stop them from enjoying themselves and wallowing in favorite forums and silhouetting the shadows of the Internet with little bits of their character, leaving off the trembling world for the warmth of the good old things.

If it wouldn't be too presumptuous, how did you come to the forums?

Nathkrul

Notable
Sep 22, 2022
If you want me to put on my rose tinted glasses, I have a fondness for Windows XP.

Otherwise it really depends on what you want out of an OS. You could make the argument Windows 3.1 is the best, but it'd only apply to you.

Actually windows 3.11 for workgroups was faster than 3.1 as it had 32 bit disk access that you could enable, and because of this this version of windows was for once actually faster

Nostalgia is a Hell of a drug. [puts on rose-colored glasses]
Remember, what you used back then was, most likely, all that was available and/or mainstream at that time. Below are the ones I like and have 'warm fuzzies' for (leaving out server environments) -

PC-DOS 5
MS-DOS 6.22
Windows 3.11
Slackware
Debian
Windows 98 SE
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows 7
Windows 10 (once I get rid of all the crap I don't need)

Below are the ones I dislike but still regularly worked/scriped/programmed on -

Windows Me
Windows Vista
Windows 8
Windows 11

Windows 11 is okay once I get rid of all the crap I don't want/need but it's got nothing for me that Windows 10 doesn't have.