Which P III should I choose?

G

Shopping for a new PC, with either a 933 MHz or 1 GHz P III chip. The difference is $20. Is the 1 GHz an "oddball" to be avoided. The reason why I ask is that five years ago, I spent $50 more for a P120 instead of a P100 only to find out that the P120 used the slower 60 MHz bus as opposed to the more common 66 MHz bus. I know the 1 GHz operates at a different voltage than some of the "slower" chips. I'm just trying to avoid buying an orphaned product.

G

... I thought the 1GHz ran on a 100FSB (10x100 = 1000). Maybe it is a 133... hmmm, what's the multiplier then? 7.5? That'd be a tad less than 1GHz, but the 133 FSB would more than make up for the "lost MHz." Oh well

Charles

G

As far as "oddball" goes, I too stumbled into the Pentium 120MHz. Fortunately, I do a little more research before buying these days.

If you are shopping for a PC, I guess that means you aren't building it. Any major PC manufacturer offering a PIII 1000 will be using the 1000EB version (133MHS FSB).

Only upgrading BXer's will be interested in the 1000E (interested indeed... 10x133FSB=1.33GHZ!!!) Overclockers (and me) will be going higher !!

G

ive seen 800s oc at 1000 all u need is a huge heatsink and fan combo

G

I have an 800E in a computer I just built two weeks ago. I increased voltage (ASUS S370-DL) to 1.95, but it wouldn't post 1000. This computer is for work, and it does CPU/RAM/HD intensive searching for peptide fragmentation data (CID) for protein identification. I decided to back off and settled at 124MHz FSB (992MHz CPU). Not that the CPU was overheating (at about 50C @ 992MHZ under load), just that It was "enough".

It is 100% stable at 992. I have a 700E running 140FSB/35PCI/94AGP for a gaming system. I think it is faster :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Get the 1GHz. These are definately better quality chips. Both run at 133 normally, but there is a more expensive 100MHz version of the 1GHz that was designed for upgraders and is unlikely to be in a new system. Make sure the system comes with the i815 chipset.

Suicide is painless...........

G

Will the software take advantage of a dual proc system? I do heavy 3d rendering (FPU intensive) and the duals make a big differance.
Anim88tor

G

I don't know if the software can utilize a second CPU. I built the system to get a searching computer set up fast and cheap (out of pocket). I didn't have the patience to wait for administrative computer purchase, and don't like most pre-builts anyway. The dual BX boards are still available for maybe $100 more than single CPU versions, but as I said.. didn't know if it would make a lot of difference and money was an issue. I even bought an NT5 license so I can take it with me legit (nice, by the way).

G

Actually, I was trying for 1120MHz. I have another 800E that peacefully turns 140MHz into 1120MHz (8 x 140FSB).

I didn't think I'd be settling for less than 1066MHz (8 x 133FSB). And I have a friend that has yet to get more than 930 from his 750E (7.5 x 124FSB).

Why did I choose the 800E.. it was my apparently lucky success pushing an 800E to 1120, and the lack-luster 750E performance from my buddy's system.

Obviously, I just wasn't quite as lucky with the second 800E.

By the way, both 800Es are Philippines CO steppers with identical codes on them.. so much for expectataions.