[SOLVED] Which power supply PSU to get ?

stonehedge99

Honorable
Jun 3, 2016
Hi Guys...

If i will be retaining the same rig below but only upgrading my processor to an AMZ Ryzen 7 3700x and an AM4 socket mobo to go with it. And secondly an Nvidia Graphics card like 1080Ti then what wattage of PSU should i get for this.

These are my 3 considerations for this... Corsair VS600 or Gigabyte GP-P650B 650w or Cooler Master MWE 650 Bronze V2 ??

This is my current system spec...

*Processor -Intel Core i3 -6100 (6th Gen) (Skylake Dual Core) @ 3.7 Ghz. 3 MB Cache. Socket LGA-1151. Inbuilt Intel HD530 graphics, 4K supported (3 Monitor Support). RAM Type DDR4-1866/2133. Power 51w TDP. Max 64GB RAM (dual channel).
*Motherboard -Gigabyte, GA-B250M-DS3H, LGA-1151, Motherboard, 3 Monitor Support, 4x DDR4 RAM Slots, HDMI+DVI-D+VGA Ports, Supports Intel 6th & 7th Gen Processors.
*RAM -2nos Kingston HyperX FURY Ram, Black, 8GB, DDR4, 2400mhz, CL15 (Model -HX424C15FB28).
*Graphics Card -Nil. Using processor IGPU Intel HD530.
*OS Drive -Kingston 120GB Sata3 SSD (SUV400S37120G).
*Projects Drive -Crucial MX500 1TB Sata3 SSD -Brand new installed on 31-Oct-2021.
*Media Drive -Seagate 2TB (ST2000DM001), SATA3, 7200rpm.
*Render Drive -Seagate 500GB (ST500DM002), SATA3, 7200rpm.
*Backup Drive -Seagate 4TB (ST4000DM004), SATA3, 256MB Cache, 5400rpm -Brand new installed on 28-Jun-2021.
*CMOS Batt replaced on 28-Jun-2021.

Im upgrading my PSU now for the current rig but will upgrade the processor etc after 2-3 months... so id rather buy the apt PSU now itself.

Thanks for any suggestions you guys can offer,

Solution
Are these the only PSU's you have access to? If so, then neither of them! I'd be asking you to look in a reliably built PSU when looking to power a higher end machine, not withstanding the GTX1080Ti(elephant in the room). Where are you located and what is your budget for the PSU purchase? To reiterate, if you think your system innards are expendable and money isn't going to be a matter, to upgrade or rebuild, then the brands you have listed are good to go(if we didn't know any better).

Since we're here, Gigabyte's make horrible PSU's unless you look at their expensive units. Corsair's VS units should be considered paper weights and are on par with Thermaltake Smart units. Coolermaster's MWE unit's should be used in system's that are...
With a 3700X and 1080Ti? None of these three. Although 650w is enough, the quality isn't. Look for something like Cooler Master V-series V2, Corsair RM/RMx, Fractal Design ION Gold/+, Super Flower Leadex III Gold, Thermaltake GF1 PE or XPG Core Reactor for example.

Last edited:

stonehedge99

Honorable
Jun 3, 2016
If i plan to upgrade only my processor & graphics card to...
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x with an AM4 socket mobo b450 chipset or 500 series chipset.
An Nvidia 1080ti graphics card.
16gb x2 sticks of 3200mhz RAM.
Some 4 RGB fans maybe.

While maintaining all of the rest of my rig which i already have (shown below)...

*OS Drive -Kingston 120GB SSD (SUV400S37120G).
*Projects Drive -Crucial MX500 1TB SATA3 SSD.
*Media Drive -Seagate 2TB (ST2000DM001), SATA3, 7200rpm.
*Render Drive -Seagate 500GB (ST500DM002), SATA3, 7200rpm.
*Backup Drive -Seagate 4TB (ST4000DM004), SATA3, 256MB Cache, 5400rpm.
*Corsair Carbide 100R ATX Cabinet.

Which of these 3 could i get..... Corsair VS600 do ? or Gigabyte GP-P650B 650w do ? or Cooler Master MWE 650 Bronze V2 ??

Right now i have a simpler i3 processor and 16gb ram etc but i will upgrade in the future but forced to replace my PSU now... so want to get a future viable unit in power rating.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sep 29, 2021
Try getting at least a 80Plus Gold, or modular PSU. Personnaly, I have a CV550 and it works fine with my I3 10100F and gtx 1060, but for high end systems I recommend a good psu.

Lutfij

Titan
Are these the only PSU's you have access to? If so, then neither of them! I'd be asking you to look in a reliably built PSU when looking to power a higher end machine, not withstanding the GTX1080Ti(elephant in the room). Where are you located and what is your budget for the PSU purchase? To reiterate, if you think your system innards are expendable and money isn't going to be a matter, to upgrade or rebuild, then the brands you have listed are good to go(if we didn't know any better).

Since we're here, Gigabyte's make horrible PSU's unless you look at their expensive units. Corsair's VS units should be considered paper weights and are on par with Thermaltake Smart units. Coolermaster's MWE unit's should be used in system's that are lower power draw in design or at the very least their units should power a system that need 100W less than the advertised sticker on the PSU.

Solution

stonehedge99

Honorable
Jun 3, 2016

Since we're here, Gigabyte's make horrible PSU's unless you look at their expensive units. Corsair's VS units should be considered paper weights and are on par with Thermaltake Smart units. Coolermaster's MWE unit's should be used in system's that are lower power draw in design or at the very least their units should power a system that need 100W less than the advertised sticker on the PSU.

Hi,

So at the moment Cooler master MWE units can be used ? So if i go for 750w it should be safe for at least 650w ? But looking at my specs after upgrade would that qualify as a high end system. Its almost like a normal gaming system with just few extra HDDs right ? Can you name which brand i can go for then ?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Also this is for an exclusive video edit system. I switch it on only 15 days in a month for about 4-5 hours.
Your not going to get anybody here to say buy one of those 3.
At least buy a decent power supply spend the extra few bucks and call it a day.

Not sure where you live but this is a good buy on at least a decent power supply.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RFZPN8G?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020194-na

Here is a handy chart to size a psu:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
It suggests 600w for a psu.
If your GTX1080ti is a factory overclocked unit, add 75w.

If you plan on keeping this pc and upgrading in the future,
do not buy a cheap psu.

A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It may not have all safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive.

Do not buy one.

Buy a quality psu with extra wattage capability for the long haul.
How do you tell quality?
Easiest is to look for a 7 to 10 year warranty.

stonehedge99

Honorable
Jun 3, 2016
Your not going to get anybody here to say buy one of those 3.
At least buy a decent power supply spend the extra few bucks and call it a day.

Fair enough. I shall look into those. Just a side note. In my country its exactly double the price :). Thats why many from the USA will say,,, why cry to spend a few bucks extra. Unfortunately its not a few bucks here... exactly 150 usd equivalent in my currency in my country's amazon. And here zero warranties, i pay twice as much as you folk and get zero service, if it quits next day, its my problem, they hardly ever have service for these things in India. Thanks for taking the time to look thru and find a model to suggest etc...much appreciated.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Fair enough. I shall look into those. Just a side note. In my country its exactly double the price. Thats why many from the USA will say,,, why cry spend a few bucks. Its not a few bucks here... exactly 150 usd equivalent in my currency in my country's amazon.

OK, now, how many dollars in USD in your currency are the parts that you want to protect with a cheap PSU? You could very easily get a 3300X or a GTX 1060 and get a safer PSU. A GTX 1080 Ti isn't insulin or an emergency inhaler; it's a question of you wanting to spend a larger percentage of the budget on fun stuff and a smaller percentage on important stuff.

In the end, if you want the sports car, you have to get the insurance.

stonehedge99

Honorable
Jun 3, 2016
Here is a handy chart to size a psu:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
It suggests 600w for a psu.
If your GTX1080ti is a factory overclocked unit, add 75w.

If you plan on keeping this pc and upgrading in the future,
do not buy a cheap psu.

A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It may not have all safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive.

Do not buy one.

Buy a quality psu with extra wattage capability for the long haul.
How do you tell quality?
Easiest is to look for a 7 to 10 year warranty.

Thanks Geofelt. I will look for a 7 yr warranty model at least. Which brands are good and reliable like cooler mastare, corsair, gigabyte ? Can you name a few bec i wont get any warranty, most of these are grey market units, ill have to go by recommended name value :)

Here are two psu lists:

Take them for what it is worth.