Question Which power supply should i get for 1660 6gb?

MoronicBat

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
So i have 500watt psu and it seems to be pretty old and i dont really know it's brand aswell. So i wanted to change it as i buy the gpu.I wonder which one should i get and came over these two:
DN650, Deepcool, 650W
Thermaltake TR2 Modular 500W

Should i get one of them or is there a better option? I dont want to pay more than 50$ tho

MoronicBat

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
So i have 500watt psu and it seems to be pretty old and i dont really know it's brand aswell. So i wanted to change it as i buy the gpu.I wonder which one should i get and came over these two:
DN650, Deepcool, 650W
Thermaltake TR2 Modular 500W

Should i get one of them or is there a better option? Dont wanna pay more than 50-60 bucks tho

MoronicBat

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
Yikes I have no idea what online retailers are in Georgia (I'm in USA and am only familiar with western European countries' retailers). Can you provide any links?

What's the budget in local currency
Look 50$ is approximately 150 Lari ( local currency in georgia) and both of these psus cost 165 Lari, only a little more. We have quite a bit of retailers, but please dont give me links from amazaon because most of their items doesnt ship to georgia. Just give me better options or help me choose between these two,but make sure its below 200 Lari pls. Currency.boom.ge on this site you can convert dollars to lari.

So I checked those sites. Pretty limited selection, which sucks. I was hoping to find a better unit, but I think you've selected the best 2 choices in your budget. I'd go with the Deep Cool 650W.

The DN650 can do 600W on the 12V rail, whereas the TR2 can only do 420W. Since neither unit is great quality, at least the DN650 has a wattage cushion.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Unfortunately, your selection is absolutely brutal in the new models. It's not just that there are things that are out of the price range, but nothing good for any price.

I usually don't recommend used PSUs, but given the selection, I'm not sure there's any choice here.

https://www.mymarket.ge/ka/pr/14959455/kvebis-blokebi/corsair-GS-700--80+-Bronze

MoronicBat

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
So I checked those sites. Pretty limited selection, which sucks. I was hoping to find a better unit, but I think you've selected the best 2 choices in your budget. I'd go with the Deep Cool 650W.

The DN650 can do 600W on the 12V rail, whereas the TR2 can only do 420W. Since neither unit is great quality, at least the DN650 has a wattage cushion.
Thanks, have a good day.

MoronicBat

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
Unfortunately, your selection is absolutely brutal in the new models. It's not just that there are things that are out of the price range, but nothing good for any price.

I usually don't recommend used PSUs, but given the selection, I'm not sure there's any choice here.

https://www.mymarket.ge/ka/pr/14959455/kvebis-blokebi/corsair-GS-700--80+-Bronze
Can u explain better, because iam kinda confused that guy told me to go with dn650 as its the best choice in my price range, so whats wrong with it if it can handle the gpu?

4745454b

Titan
But isnt 450w too low?

You need quality, not size. The 1660 doesn't use a lot of power. And if you have a quality unit it will be fine. I used to have a really good 450W PSU. I ran my 3770K and R9 280 on it. The 7950/R9 280 is a 225W card. About 80 more watts than your 1660. And my PSU was fine. Why? Because I paid attention to the build quality when I bought it. I didn't just look at the sticker on the side.

I'm not opposed to buying used. But I'd honestly try to stretch the budget a bit and get one that you know will be good.

MoronicBat

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
Yeah, who cares about the long-term health of the GPU and the system as a whole. The GPU is way more fun to purchase than safety!

"Why do I need car insurance? It won't make my new Ferrari faster!"
You are saying that theres nothing good for any price here , then why should i spend more if i will get an item that would be almost same in terms of quality? If thats the case and this psu wont offer my gpu long-term health then tell me which one will atleast damn. I said that if the psu will make my gpu work then iam ok with it, but i didnt mean that i dont care about safety, thats actually the reason iam here i just wanna make sure i'll be safe.

MoronicBat

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
Then reread my posts.
"Stretch a budget" how much more? Considering how much dollar costs here ive already stretched it, you are saying that i should look for a unit that will be good in terms of quality, but how if i have no idea about PSUs? You dont seem to be giving advice, u are just telling me to search it by myself, but how am i supposed to know if item that i found is great if everyone has mixed opinions about it? Someone who owns some deepcool psu told me that dn650 will do great even with rtx 2060, but u dont seem to agree with that considering your recent posts. Iam really thankful for the time that you gave me, but its really frustrating to see these results as i got almost nothing from doing this.

MoronicBat

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
I7-2600k 3.4ghz
16gb ram ddr3
gtx 1660 ti 6gb
h61m-e
500gb hdd, 1tb hdd
Iam thinking of buying Evga 500 watt 80 plus psu, it has really good reviews and seems to be a quality unit. Should i get it or are there any better options avaliable in the same price range?

4745454b

Titan
EVGA doesn't make any quality 500W 80+ units. They would be 80+ gold. The B1, N1, etc are all so so.

You dont seem to be giving advice, u are just telling me to search it by myself, but how am i supposed to know if item that i found is great if everyone has mixed opinions about it? Someone who owns some deepcool psu told me that dn650 will do great even with rtx 2060, but u dont seem to agree with that

The issue is I don't read your langauge, nor do I understand your money situation. My advice is to wait until you can afford something really good. That way it lasts. Listening to someone trying to justify their poor purchase doesn't mean they are right. Many of the units you listed will work for awhile. But I don't want to set you on the path of "worked for awhile". I want you to have a good unit that should last years. I'm sorry if such advice isn't what you want to hear.

MoronicBat

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
EVGA doesn't make any quality 500W 80+ units. They would be 80+ gold. The B1, N1, etc are all so so.

The issue is I don't read your langauge, nor do I understand your money situation. My advice is to wait until you can afford something really good. That way it lasts. Listening to someone trying to justify their poor purchase doesn't mean they are right. Many of the units you listed will work for awhile. But I don't want to set you on the path of "worked for awhile". I want you to have a good unit that should last years. I'm sorry if such advice isn't what you want to hear.
Ehhh for example i Stretched up my budget by like 20-30 bucks and now i have like 80, Will i be able to buy a psu that will last for years or should i add up more?