[SOLVED] Which power supply would be more than good enough for these components.

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Hi, i am building a PC and have choose these components to go with also i have Red dragon,Cooler Master, Corsair and Antec as options.
Any advice is appreciated.

MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X
ADATA XPG Spectrix S40G 512GB RGB PCIE GEN3X4 M.2
XPG SPECTRIX D60G 16GB DDR4 3000MHz RGB
Thermaltake Riing 12 LED RGB Radiator Fan Sync Edition
MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus Intel Z390 Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Desktop Processor With Wraith Stealth Cooler

Last edited:
Solution
D
Go for a minimum of 3200 MHz (if you can, 3600 MHz) RAM with a CAS Latency of 16 or less. Get a Corsair CX550M or CX650M as the PSU (2017 units with a grey "CX", not green!).

Get a B450, B550 or X570 motherboard instead. That motherboard is for Intel CPUs, as @digitalgriffin said above.
D

Deleted member 2720853

Go for a minimum of 3200 MHz (if you can, 3600 MHz) RAM with a CAS Latency of 16 or less. Get a Corsair CX550M or CX650M as the PSU (2017 units with a grey "CX", not green!).

Get a B450, B550 or X570 motherboard instead. That motherboard is for Intel CPUs, as @digitalgriffin said above.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Solution
Btw: Im not a fan of rgb ssd because the vast majority of them step down current with a resistor and get VERY hot affecting performance. They could have spent the extra $1 on current regulators instead, but they didn't which just proves the drive is more about looks than performance.

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Regarding the PSU. A little bit of overhead can allow your computer to draw more power before the PSU fan ramps up.
I don't remember what is what any more, it's a while since I've had to look at it, but some PSUs make more noise than others. Seasonic usually makes some good products, the last 3 PCs I built were with those, including my own. I'm sure some of the people here knows exactly which models are better.

Far as seasonics go, everything down to the focus+ are good. The older focus (no plus) and s12iii are not recommended because they don't support deep sleep states

Liquid cooling wont gain you much. It spreads heat over a larger area so you can use a lower fan speed to achieve similar cooling. Larger radiators also mean greater thermal capacity but due to the way thermal conductivity works they wont work better than standard air coolers other than being a little more quiet.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Corsair psu ratings:
VS, CXM-CV-CX, RM, TXM, RMx, RMi.....
There's a gap in between the CXM and the CV and the CX. Those units are pretty much for OEM replacements on grandma's web surfer, not for gaming or higher gpu usages. Think of them as 'light-duty' psus. For gaming rigs, you want heavy duty, which is the CX or better, with preferences of the TXM or better.

Guaranteed you've heard the expression to 'Use the right tool for the job', I know my grandfather was very fond of that expression. That means you don't use a jewelry hammer to bust up concrete and you don't use a sledgehammer to cut diamonds. Any psu you do buy should not only be large enough to power the pc, but should also be protective of that pc too. Quality and Quantity are not the same, a cheap 600w is a liability, fire hazard waiting to happen. A Quality 550w might cost more, but is far better than the cheap 600w.

Last edited:
Reactions: digitalgriffin