[SOLVED] Which processor is better for a laptop

Jan 26, 2020
hi everyone,

I got 2 choices for laptops and in terms of processors I would like to know which is the better of the two choices

Intel i7 9750H vs AMD ryzen 7 4800H

I want to know which one performs better In terms of gaming and battery

The AMD laptop is a ROG Zephyrus G15 features 240Hz, Ryzen 7 and RTX 2060 Graphics this is quad core processor and has 3ms response time 16gb ram

Other laptop is a ASUS ROG Zephyrus M Creator Edition FHD 240Hz i7 RTX 2060 Glacial Blue Performance Laptop with also 3ms response time 32gb ram

So which cpu is better for me, please advise

Solution
I'd thought by now they'd actually improve gaming laptop battery's......

What about msi GS66 2020, they say its got a 99wh battery, so that too aswell can't even last 3h of gaming????

If that's the case then might aswell forget it and just stick to my desktop as what's the point of buying a laptop if it can barely withstand the portability function....
Honestly if you wanna game on the go I agree with a switch. Odyssey and BoTW and two of the best games ever made and are genre defining titles in their respective domain. On top of that you have Mario Kart, Smash, Kirby, Yoshi, Luigis Mansion that are all fun and the super addictive animal crossing plus tons of 3rd party releases then there’s all the NES and SNES games you get...
hi everyone,

I got 2 choices for laptops and in terms of processors I would like to know which is the better of the two choices

Intel i7 9750H vs AMD ryzen 7 4800H

I want to know which one performs better In terms of gaming and battery

The AMD laptop is a ROG Zephyrus G15 features 240Hz, Ryzen 7 and RTX 2060 Graphics this is quad core processor and has 3ms response time 16gb ram

Other laptop is a ASUS ROG Zephyrus M Creator Edition FHD 240Hz i7 RTX 2060 Glacial Blue Performance Laptop with also 3ms response time 32gb ram

So which cpu is better for me, please advise

Probably the Zen but you won't be gaming off battery

I've seen quite a few laptops in recent years that sounded impressive on paper, ran great briefly, but, then throttled themselves after 20-30 seconds under a gaming load....

I'd look fro some actual gaming reviews on one you might be interested in. Otherwise, get a desktop for gaming, and a $300 new but old stock from last year laptop for portable surfing....

Jan 26, 2020
I got a desktop pc with very high specs but just wanted a gaming laptop to take with me when I go out for my travels and around the place

Those 2 sounded pretty good and their new 2020 models but can't really decide on what to get honestly as I see from ces 2020 both asus and msi announced pretty good laptops but can't make a decision

Jan 26, 2020
as I'm also hearing mixed reviews of people saying gaming laptops are rubbish they can't last more than 3h etc? So I'm not really sure if I should even consider one as I don't want to waste like 1.5 or 2K and it ends up being trash

I dont think it'll be trash, but I also dont think it'll be what youd expect of a 2060/i7. Like mdd1963 said, they get hot and fast. Which will slow them down. If it last 3 hours of actual gaming, I'd be surprised. It probably also wont perform as strong on battery vs plugged in.

Want a portable gaming system, buy a switch. Gaming laptops are rarely worth the dollar amount they command.

Jan 26, 2020

What about msi GS66 2020, they say its got a 99wh battery, so that too aswell can't even last 3h of gaming????

If that's the case then might aswell forget it and just stick to my desktop as what's the point of buying a laptop if it can barely withstand the portability function....

Honestly if you wanna game on the go I agree with a switch. Odyssey and BoTW and two of the best games ever made and are genre defining titles in their respective domain. On top of that you have Mario Kart, Smash, Kirby, Yoshi, Luigis Mansion that are all fun and the super addictive animal crossing plus tons of 3rd party releases then there’s all the NES and SNES games you get for the £3 a month online service. If you want an ultra portable laptop you can do productivity on get a MacBook Air 2020 now they’ve sorted the keyboard out. Base model Airis 999 add a switch (when they’re in stock) and the pair comes up to $1300. Throw in a couple of the bigger Nintendo launches (Odyssey, AC, BoTW, Mansion) and you’re set for a while.

Solution

Battery tech is the same for all systems, the issue is that the CPU and video card will just use a lot of power, as well as the higher end screens they tend to use. 3 hours of gaming is actually very good on battery. I would not expect a gaming laptop to last 2 hours when picking one out. You can't go asking for a 600hp V8 car to drive at 80 and then expect it to use the same gas as a family 4 cylinder sedan driven at 60.

When gaming, plug it in, unless you absolutely can't, then run it on battery as well as you can. Or as you said, don't bother with a laptop.