Which Processor should I buy Intel i5 or AMD fx8150

Nadish Kukreti

Reputable
Sep 28, 2015
I have a doubt that amd might overheat..I am buying a new pc..My friend with AMDfx8150 always have over heating issue...
Should i go for INTEL..AMD..ASUS?

Solution
When I built my system a couple of years ago, and being in Canada, an AMD build was cheaper. For the same price as an 8320, I could have gotten an intel dual core pentium. not even an i3. lol.
Then your friend has a bad cooler, needs to change thermal paste or get better case fans. If all AMD's overheated, they wouldn't sell at all.

That said, the 8150 is old, and I would go an I5. They per-core performance is better than AMD, and especially the 81xx series as they are even older and more outdated.

Most everyone who buys either amd or intel cpu,s need to purchase a aftermarket cooler for there chips the factory ones are bad from the get go and yes they do get hot some years back it was fine and dandy when intel and amd made better heatsinks to use but those days are now gone so as said above that was more or less your friends issue and a I 5 4460 or higher will do you just fine.

AMD notoriously run hotter than intel. Same with their GPU's vs. Nvidia. getochkin is correct about the per core specs. Intel gets paid more for their chips for a reason - they produce a superior product. I'm not some Intel fanboy but in my 5+years experience building and troubleshooting pcs, Intel produces a more stable system than AMD. Would I build a budget AMD PC for some housewife using facebook and youtube? Sure! For a gaming rig not on a super tight budget? No way! Intel hands down

On a strict budget the AMD fx-8320 has its place but overall the intel chips are better and have been better for the last 10 years (ahh the Athlon XP barton core days).

The i5 has half the specs of the FX-8350 but can still beat it out per core by a wide margin, it is only when you can use every core/thread on the fx-8350 that it can beat an i5; now as soon as you make it a fair fight and put that fx-8350 up to an i7 then the i7 blows it away.

Intel chips run hot as well if you knew some about the history of intel for example the p 4 Prescott nicknamed the Presshot! even the newer ones will run hot that's why you need a after market cooler on either amd or Intel chips...

The I 5 4690 k is a tad bit faster at everything compared to a Amd 8350 I own both the 8320 and I 5 4690k both at stock clocks with the same gpu the same amount of memory the I5 is faster but the AMD chip is also a good value for what your paying for it even when you get it on sale but the am3+ socket is dead now so really no upgrades for it.

The FX-8150 is an older generation CPU and in many cases it does not performs quiet as well as the Phenom II series it replaced back in 2011. It probably performs a little better than the Intel Core 2 Quad CPUs released back 2008; I can't remember.

The FX-8350 was released back in 2012 and it is basically the most recent FX generation available as of now. It's successor the "Zen" CPU is not expected to be released until the end of 2016 or beginning of 2017. The Fx-8350 performance is more or less between the 1st and 2nd generation (released early 2011) of Intel Core i5 CPU.

Unless you cannot afford a 4th generation (Haswell) Intel Core i5 CPU which is really not that much more expensive than the FX-8350, then go with the FX-8350. Intel just recently launched their 6th generation Core i3/i5/i7 CPU. 5th generation Intel CPU were primarily released for laptops, but there are a few unremarkable desktop versions.

Ooh, the Prescott. How could I leave out that one Intel chip from when? 2000? Yes, 2000 release (32-bit.) Maybe I just haven't been around long enough but I've worked with Intel Core series chips since generation one and haven't had any one of them - or any other Intel chips in that time frame run hot with stock cooling. Probably because I'm not overclocking on stock cooling or maybe it's just that I installed them correctly. Maybe I've been extremely lucky, I'm only stating my experience thus far.