Which processor to buy for KT3 Ultra 2 (MS-6380E v1.X)?

Two years ago I bought KT3 Ultra 2 (MS-6380E v1.X) with Athlon XP 2000+
and 1GB of DDR RAM.

Now I'm thinking of upgrading my computer with a faster processor.
Which to buy if specs for the mainboard are as follows:
- supports Socket A (Socket-462) for AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron
processor
- supports 800 MHz up to 1.8 GHz (Athlon XP 2200+) processor

Does that mean I can only upgrade it to Athlon XP 2200+ and nothing
else?
I searched the processors that they have in stock at local dealers and
I saw other Athlons like 2800+, but they all have Socket 754 /Athlon
64/ or they don't specify sockets (e.g. Athlon XP 2400+ Thorton or
Athlon XP 2500+ Barton).

Is it possible to install Athlon XP 2400+ Thorton or Barton to that
mainboard?

Thanks,

Brad Gourdo

Thanks for the link - I checked my mainboard there (MS-6380E v1.X) and
there's an "OK" at Athlon XP 3000+ Barton.

My mainboard chipset is VIA KT333 with FSB @200/266 MHz and I have DDR
RAM 333MHz.
Now I'm not sure what Front Side Bus means at that MSI page - there is
"Barton (0.13u) 166/333MHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache" and I guess that should
be the one.

On the other hand, I searched local dealers and they offer
AMD XP 3000+ Barton (btw, what is "core" at processors?)
2.167 GHz - 333MHz
Cache 512 KB
Tray - OEM
for 145 EUR. Is that the right processor for my mainboard and is that a
reasonable price as well?

Thanks again and stay cool,

Brad Gourdo

Gollum

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001

On 16 Feb 2005 16:38:43 -0800, bostjan.klemencic@gmail.com wrote:

>Two years ago I bought KT3 Ultra 2 (MS-6380E v1.X) with Athlon XP 2000+
>and 1GB of DDR RAM.
>
>Now I'm thinking of upgrading my computer with a faster processor.
>Which to buy if specs for the mainboard are as follows:
>- supports Socket A (Socket-462) for AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron
>processor
>- supports 800 MHz up to 1.8 GHz (Athlon XP 2200+) processor
>
>Does that mean I can only upgrade it to Athlon XP 2200+ and nothing
>else?
>I searched the processors that they have in stock at local dealers and
>I saw other Athlons like 2800+, but they all have Socket 754 /Athlon
>64/ or they don't specify sockets (e.g. Athlon XP 2400+ Thorton or
>Athlon XP 2500+ Barton).
>
>Is it possible to install Athlon XP 2400+ Thorton or Barton to that
>mainboard?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Brad Gourdo

If you searched the MSI website
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=357&NAME=MS-6593&kind=1

You will find that this board supports a THOROUGHBRED core up to 2700+
, but it does not support the Barton or Thorton core.

Gollum

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:01:52 GMT, Gollum <Gollum@pretty.net> selected
combat throttle and flew into a dogfight with:

>On 16 Feb 2005 16:38:43 -0800, bostjan.klemencic@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>Two years ago I bought KT3 Ultra 2 (MS-6380E v1.X) with Athlon XP 2000+
>>and 1GB of DDR RAM.

<snip>

>>Is it possible to install Athlon XP 2400+ Thorton or Barton to that
>>mainboard?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Brad Gourdo
>

>If you searched the MSI website
>http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=357&NAME=MS-6593&kind=1
>
>You will find that this board supports a THOROUGHBRED core up to 2700+
>, but it does not support the Barton or Thorton core.
>
>Gollum

The support information at that link clearly indicates that a Barton
(up to 3000+, FSB 333) *is* supported. I'm using a Barton 2600+ in an
older KT3 Ultra-ARU, so Brad should have no problem with a Barton if
he can find one.

Brad - check the speed of your RAM can match the FSB of your intended
CPU replacement.

--
Max Reheat :)o) - Remove Part Throttle Reheat to reply.

This link
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=357&NAME=MS-6593&kind=1
says I cannot use Athlon Sempron CPU (Thoroughbred or Thorton) on my
motherboard, but my dealer says I can use Sempron 3000+ and that at the
startup of the computer BIOS will identify it as Athlon XP 3000+.

Is that true? Shouldn't then be a Sempron with Barton core and not the
other two? Have they actually made Semprons with Barton core as well?

Brad Gourdo