Which PSU out of these?

steffeeh

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
I'm looking for a semi-modular (or fully modular) power supply in the range of 400-500W.
This is for a quiet PC, so noise levels are important. But most important of course is reliability.
I first decided for a Corsair CX450M, but now I've found other units, and I don't know which one is better.
I'm in Sweden so pricing is different than in the links.

Here are all the contestants:
- Corsair CX450
- EVGA 500 BQ
- Fractal Design Integra M 450W
- Be-Quiet Pure Power 10 CM 400W (bit more expensive)
- Cooler Master G450M

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
CXM 450w is Quality Construction throughout , DC-DC modules were added to improve reliability .DC-DC modules also use polymer capacitors , which lave a longer lifespan than wet electrolytic capacitors . So with the improvements you get a great reliable more stable PSU.

Great PSU for your needs.

steffeeh

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
Thanks for the input! Elsewhere some people suggest that the Be-Quiet one could be good enough for my scenario, while hopefully being quieter as well, thoughts on this? Of course over there not all people agreed on that point.

steffeeh

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
I'll just drop this quote here, from the other place where I posted. For more context on it, visit the thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/859183-which-psu-out-of-these/?tab=comments#comment-10697850

Basically he's responding to someone not being too positive about the Be-Quiet one, saying it scored poorly (which this reply suggests is because they ran it beyond specs).

QUOTE:
"So back to the facts:
The 500W Pure Power is more expensive than the 450W CXM - 20 Krona wich equals to about 2€
And if you compare the CX450M to the 500W Pure Power CM it's about 11€.

The differences between both:
1) 50W more for the Pure Power (or 50W less), because you cou
2) Holdup Time of the Corsair CX is pretty shit. Cap of the 550W Corsair CX is a tiny 220µF/400V one, Pure power 400W(!!) 270µF/400VW, 600W Pure Power 10 has a reasonable 330µF/400VW -> that is OK. And tbh I prefer a reasonably sized 85°C over a small 105°C one.
3) fan of the CX550 is ~900rpm at lower loads, Pure Power 10 is 500rpm at lower loads.

So buttom line:
electrically both are about equal, BUT: The fan of the Pure Power is better, fan controller is better, idle RPM of the Pure Power is almost half that of the CX.
If he wants to pay that for the lower noise of the Pure Power, than that's how it should be.
Also what you are missing is the Holdup time. The Pure Power has a somewhat reasonable main cap (at least for the lower wattages), the CX has not - it's at least one or two sizes too small...

And the cons in the THG Review are just bullshit. What do you expect from a cheap, lower end PSU??
There are just some things you can't do with such a price range. And 85°C Caps are more than sufficient because with 230VAC Input Voltage the cap isn't stressed much. What kills the main input cap are surges...
And as I said, I rather have a 270µF/400WV 85°C instead of a 105°C 220µF one...

But since you want to play that game, I can do it to:
https://www.hardwareinsights.com/corsair-cx550m-farewell-group-design/7/#Conclusion-and-evaluation

Here the CX550M failed and it did more so than the HardOCP review you mentioned...
In this Review, the OPP didn't work, voltage dropped to 9,6V before it switched off.
Caps are also "Chinese" (SamXon), Su'scon and whatever Corsair has on their AVL and is available at the moment.

But in the End, that are just details, the Pure Power isn't as bad as you said it is.
The Corsair CX isn't as good as you believe it is.

Both are "just" good cheaper budget units, both have their strong points, both have their disadvantages."