[SOLVED] Which Radeon RX570/580 to avoid?

JoshTheG

Distinguished
May 16, 2013
I am thinking about upgrading from my old ~2011 Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Dual-X card.

There are a couple different RX 570 and RX 580 in my local area up for sale and I am wondering if there's any brand to stray from? I have heard Sapphire is usually the #1 in terms of quality...or is there really a big difference?

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Are we talking second hand? In which case, which AMD AIB partners honour warranties for non-original owners? EVGA do for Nvidia (from the factory date), no idea for AMD, but that would influence my choice for a 2nd hand GPU...

JoshTheG

Distinguished
May 16, 2013
Are we talking second hand? In which case, which AMD AIB partners honour warranties for non-original owners? EVGA do for Nvidia (from the factory date), no idea for AMD, but that would influence my choice for a 2nd hand GPU...
Yes I am looking at 2nd hand cards. Just something cheap that will be a noticeable upgrade from my old 7950.
I am not sure about the lifespan of cards, but my own experience having this 7950 for about 7 years now and never once having any issues with it, I can only assume an RX 580 from 2016/2017 would be just fine.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Components can and do just die. After 10 years, or after 10 months, or sometimes less. Warranty means you get a free replacement. Up to you, but if there's one that still has some warranty on it, that can be transferred to you, I'd get that.

I've had GPUs last over a decade, and others fail within warranty. And I was glad of the warranty.

JoshTheG

Distinguished
May 16, 2013
Components can and do just die. After 10 years, or after 10 months, or sometimes less. Warranty means you get a free replacement. Up to you, but if there's one that still has some warranty on it, that can be transferred to you, I'd get that.

I've had GPUs last over a decade, and others fail within warranty. And I was glad of the warranty.
I'll ask about warranties. Thanks.