Question Which ram is best for current gen intel and amd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
I am in the process of building a parts list before I buy the parts. So far now I have nothing I am going with either a intel or amd current gen btw not last gen and I know AMD likes fast ram so I am looking for ram no slower than 3200 and no faster than 3800 as anything past that is expensive. Also idk much about timings but I was told anything between cl14-16 is best and anything higher is too slow. I love rgb so it has to have it. I thought about the vengeance pro for corsair but idk. If you guys can please recommend good, fast ram for both amd and intel. Also it can be 1x16 2x8 2x16 4x8 Thanks guys ! :)

I'd have minimal concern with that until I first had specific motherboard in mind.

Any RAM you might think is a candidate may or may not work on any motherboard you might mention.

Buy the RAM as a "kit", likely 2 sticks of whatever. Preferably, buy all you think you will ever want on that motherboard immediately....rather than some now and add more later.

You'll likely need a finely calibrated stopwatch to detect speed differences between RAM sticks for typical operations, but that may not matter to you.

If you have a spending limit, you may be confronted with the "more RAM" versus "faster RAM" dilemma. Should I get 16 fast or 32 slow?

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
I'd have minimal concern with that until I first had specific motherboard in mind.

Any RAM you might think is a candidate may or may not work on any motherboard you might mention.

Buy the RAM as a "kit", likely 2 sticks of whatever. Preferably, buy all you think you will ever want on that motherboard immediately....rather than some now and add more later.

You'll likely need a finely calibrated stopwatch to detect speed differences between RAM sticks for typical operations, but that may not matter to you.

If you have a spending limit, you may be confronted with the "more RAM" versus "faster RAM" dilemma. Should I get 16 fast or 32 slow?
How big of a threat are the ddr5 ram vs the current gen ddr4? Cause if I spend like 200 on ram for a 32gb kit at 3600mhz for cl14 or cl16 and a slower and smaller ddr5 kit does more performance I would hate my self haha. But now the ddr5 is insanely expensive

How would you know which had "more performance"?

Because you used your stopwatch to measure something?

Something you read about a benchmark somewhere?

Fast 16 versus slow 32........probably go with slow 32 if you would actually use more than 16. The "slow" 32 is still faster than a swap file on a drive. But that's in stopwatch territory for the typical user.

At some point in the future, only squares will use DDR 4.

We are not there yet. How long can you wait before you buy?

No one knows the future price of RAM, but you can speculate that DDR 5 will come down if you want to use that as a reason to delay.

The next Intel generation (13th) will likely happen by year end. You might hate yourself if you don't wait for that, at which time DDR 5 may be cheaper. Or not.

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
How would you know which had "more performance"?

Because you used your stopwatch to measure something?

Something you read about a benchmark somewhere?

Fast 16 versus slow 32........probably go with slow 32 if you would actually use more than 16. The "slow" 32 is still faster than a swap file on a drive. But that's in stopwatch territory for the typical user.

At some point in the future, only squares will use DDR 4.

We are not there yet. How long can you wait before you buy?

No one knows the future price of RAM, but you can speculate that DDR 5 will come down if you want to use that as a reason to delay.

The next Intel generation (13th) will likely happen by year end. You might hate yourself if you don't wait for that, at which time DDR 5 may be cheaper. Or not.
tbh I cant see my self waiting 9 months for that I am thinking that I will have my future PC built by 3 months end.

Status
Not open for further replies.