[SOLVED] Which ram is better

Sep 23, 2021
So when I went to crucial and typed in my computer to find out what's compatible..two different sticks of ram came up.. everything nis pretty much the same except where it says configuration...the cheaper one has a configuration of 256Meg x 64 and the more expensive one has a configuration of 512meg x 64...what's the difference..and why is the cheaper one cheaper..I've included a link. https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/dell/optiplex-390-desktop

Thank you,
Nick

Solution
Im not sure that's true if you notice...the more expensive type..it has 512 meg for both the single stick (4gb), and the two sticks (8gb)....then if you move down to the cheaper option....it has 256 for both the single stick (4gb) and for two sticks (8gb)...there are two different types of ram...and they give you the option to buy 4 or 8 gb for both type..I know the difference between 4gb and 8gb..but I don't know the difference between the two types of ram...besides the MEG value
you link shows 4 options:
Crucial 4GB DDR3L-1600 UDIMM
Crucial 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB) DDR3L-1600 UDIMM

those are 512x64

2GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.35V 256Meg x 64
Crucial 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) DDR3L-1600...
Sep 23, 2021
256meg is 2gb stick while 512 is 4gb stick, double the capacity.
Im not sure that's true if you notice...the more expensive type..it has 512 meg for both the single stick (4gb), and the two sticks (8gb)....then if you move down to the cheaper option....it has 256 for both the single stick (4gb) and for two sticks (8gb)...there are two different types of ram...and they give you the option to buy 4 or 8 gb for both type..I know the difference between 4gb and 8gb..but I don't know the difference between the two types of ram...besides the MEG value

Sep 23, 2021
256x64 = 2GB ram
512x64 = 4GB ram

Oct 22, 2021
So when I went to crucial and typed in my computer to find out what's compatible..two different sticks of ram came up.. everything nis pretty much the same except where it says configuration...the cheaper one has a configuration of 256Meg x 64 and the more expensive one has a configuration of 512meg x 64...what's the difference..and why is the cheaper one cheaper..I've included a link. https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/dell/optiplex-390-desktop

Thank you,
Nick
There is no just 1 ram that is the best. it depends on build and intended usage. for gaming and streaming i would go with G.skill trident Z rgb, this is what i have in my build and it works flawlessly. you could also go with corsair vengeance lpx 3200mhz. This is what i have in my wife's build and she has no issue. If you plan on streaming and gaming i would go with a kit of 2 or 4 sticks of ram, if you plan on building a #dedicated server then a kit of 1 stick of ram is all you really need.

Mod Edit - Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
you link shows 4 options:
Crucial 4GB DDR3L-1600 UDIMM
Crucial 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB) DDR3L-1600 UDIMM

those are 512x64

2GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.35V 256Meg x 64
Crucial 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) DDR3L-1600 UDIMM

those are 256x64

meg value is like this
256megabites x 64 = 16384 megabites
to get megabytes u have to divide it with number 8 (as 1byte = 8 bites)
16384 / 8 = 2048MegaBytes =2GB

or you can just google "256Mb x64", google calculator will calculate it for you
https://www.google.com/search?q=256Mb+x64

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 23, 2021
There is no just 1 ram that is the best. it depends on build and intended usage. for gaming and streaming i would go with G.skill trident Z rgb, this is what i have in my build and it works flawlessly. you could also go with corsair vengeance lpx 3200mhz. This is what i have in my wife's build and she has no issue. If you plan on streaming and gaming i would go with a kit of 2 or 4 sticks of ram, if you plan on building a #dedicated server then a kit of 1 stick of ram is all you really need.

Mod Edit - Link Removed
Thank you for your response..ya I have a Dell optiplex 390..I got it cheap and it came with one stick of 2 gb ram..it only has two slots so I was gonna put in 2x4 gb ram sticks..and and Nvidia gt 1030 and use it for some light gaming..so out of the two options that are 2x 4gb stinks in that link, which do you think is the best choice...it's an older computer with limits so does it even make a difference in the choice of the two..will the difference even be noticeable?the megs are the only difference like previously stated.... people are telling me that the 4 gb sticks are 256 megs bc there's one and the set of two are 512 bc there's two..2x256=512..I get the math...but what they are saying doesn't makes sense..bc the single 4gb stick that's $28 says 512 megs, but then for $56 you can get two 4gb sticks and it still says 512megs..then the cheaper 4gb stick that's $12 says 256 megs..but also the option for 2x4gb sticks for $25 also says 256 megs..if it was you, which one of the two would you choose

Sep 23, 2021
256meg is 2gb stick while 512 is 4gb stick, double the capacity.
Thats not what the link shows...it has two different types..both have an option to buy one 4gb stick or 2x4gb sticks..the one that's cheaper says 256 under both options, to buy one 4gb stick or 2x4gb sticks...the more expensive option says 512 Meg for both one 4gb stick and 2x4gb sticks

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Thats not what the link shows...it has two different types..both have an option to buy one 4gb stick or 2x4gb sticks..the one that's cheaper says 256 under both options, to buy one 4gb stick or 2x4gb sticks...the more expensive option says 512 Meg for both one 4gb stick and 2x4gb sticks

This is what im seeing (American site). As you can see, there are no cheaper 4gb sticks with 256mb, that wouldn't make sense anyway.

lFGxzbK.png

Which to go for? The 2x 4gb kit.