Question Which Ram should I get - 48gb vs 36gb? workstation

Nov 5, 2023
Currently in the process of figuring out my build, and trying to pick between 2 ram sticks. I don't game and want a fast workstation: I have 4, potentially 5 monitors. On my old build, the 34inch ultra wide used up a lot of ram (I was using integrated graphics).

The apps I would be running are: zoom, slack, multiple msft apps, visualization tools, and chrome

32gb ram: better speeds/timings
48gb ram: higher capacity

Rest of build:
CPU: 14700k
MB: asus z790
GPU: I only bought this so I the monitors do not used shared/onboard ram
34" curved
34" flat
2x-3x 24" monitor

If you think I have bigger problems to figure out before I figure out Ram situation, open to suggestions

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Currently in the process of figuring out my build, and trying to pick between 2 ram sticks. I don't game and want a fast workstation: I have 4, potentially 5 monitors. On my old build, the 34inch ultra wide used up a lot of ram (I was using integrated graphics).

32gb ram: better speeds/timings
48gb ram: higher capacity

Rest of build:
CPU: 14700k
MB: asus z790
GPU: I only bought this so I the monitors do not used shared/onboard ram
34" curved
34" flat
2x-3x 24" monitor

If you think I have bigger problems to figure out before I figure out Ram situation, open to suggestions
Nobody can really answer that your the only one that knows how much you used, I mean you never even listed the exact use/programs used on the PC. The built in graphics used memory.

For work programs usually 32 is min, when if you don't know then get the 48GB better to buy it now then not have enough and have to buy it again.

As of right now I would not consider a 13th or 14th gen Intel processor because of the problems, I would be looking at the new AMD 9XXX processor.

EDIT when you get down to more VS faster if it's faster but your using all of it then it's not faster.

Looking at what you posted 5200 with 40 CAS is very poor get better than that, are those your only 2 choices I mean spend 20 more bucks or so and get faster.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023
Nobody can really answer that your the only one that knows how much you used, I mean you never even listed the exact use/programs used on the PC. The built in graphics used memory.

For work programs usually 32 is min, when if you don't know then get the 48GB better to buy it now then not have enough and have to buy it again.

As of right now I would not consider a 13th or 14th gen Intel processor because of the problems, I would be looking at the new AMD 9XXX processor.

EDIT when you get down to more VS faster if it's faster but your using all of it then it's not faster.

Looking at what you posted 5200 with 40 CAS is very poor get better than that, are those your only 2 choices I mean spend 20 more bucks or so and get faster.
Just made some edits to include what I would be using for. I’m lucky enough to be near a microcenter and the intel bundles are a better value play at the moment so spending the extra would be more than $20: I would also ideally like to use one of the two ram kits, so I don’t have to sell ram kit to upgrade.

I’m not sure if the 32gb would really be an Issue, because I can allocate the two ultrawides to the gpu since those seems to require more ram capacity. To be honest, I also don’t know about gpus much because I picked mine up locally used, solely to solve my ultrawide using a lot of ram - from what I could tell, unless I’m trying to use higher refresh rates, the gpu shouldn’t bottle neck the rest of my components: high definition and refresh rates do not matter to me.

To simplify, I was trying to see if the 48gb kit is that much worse than the 32gb, and seems like you’re saying it is.